General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member in Tulsa, OK...what gear to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:41 PM
gnaedig
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member in Tulsa, OK...what gear to get?

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself here. I just picked up my first bike, a 2016 Heritage Softail Classic in Amber Whiskey/Vivid Black. I'm definitely looking forward to getting to know people in the community and I'm taking a motorcycle safety course in January to get well acquainted with to do's and don'ts of riding.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips about what kind of gear to get or avoid. I've seen things like Bluetooth helmets and stuff, but I don't know if they're worth it or not. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 11-23-2016, 06:29 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Good boots....LUG soles......personally I hate sneakers as they don't provide much traction......the road is quite slick at stop signs and lights.........the rest of the protection is up to you.......there are some great company's out there providing armor gear if you want to go that way......the best gear you have is that 5 inches between your ears.......and keep your head on a swivel.......they're out to kill us!!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

A BS detector. Cuz you're gonna hear a lot of BS by people that had a Harley or would have bought one but XYZ brand is better.
Welcome to the 2 wheel life. Ride safe and enjoy. Use all your senses. Watch out for the schmucks that are addicted to their idiot phone.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Utah.
I won't go anywhere without rain gear. I wear and recommend the HD brand.
If you're new to riding you might want to look for Ride Like a Pro videos.
Good luck and enjoy the bike!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:21 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

Welcome to the forum. As another mentioned, the best gear is the 5 inches between your ears. Drive like you are invisible. Be defensive and look as far down the road as you can to try to anticipate potential problems while maintaining constant surveillance around you and your mirrors.

As far as clothing, I buy practical jackets, boots, etc that are both comfortable and functional.

Be safe!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Your going in the right direction taking the safety course.
Here in Colorado they require the following for the safety class:
Boots - ankle high, sturdy, good traction sole
Helmet - here in Colorado it's not monitory after the class, but I never ride without one
Riding gloves - full finger was required for my class
eye protection - if you get one that has interchangeable lenses for daytime & night riding that you like - if not, get 2 different pairs

Ride within your limits, never over them and keep an eye out for everything even when there is nothing around you

Welcome from Colorado and enjoyy

Old 11-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,034 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by gnaedig
I'm taking a motorcycle safety course in January to get well acquainted with to do's and don'ts of riding.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips about what kind of gear to get or avoid.
That safety course is just the "very" beginning - make it a priority to practice..., practice..., practice

===========

As to gear (KISS) - get a helmet / leather gloves / boots

Then..., as you practice / begin riding / gain experience - let it come naturally as to what gear you need / want

Likely you'll go through two or three sets of whatever - before finally finding what you like / works the way you want / fits like it should / provides the protection you're satisfied with

Oh.., and this time of year, get a pair of long handles

First fork in the road - leather.., or made made

jmo

Ghost

Old 11-23-2016, 08:25 PM
ridealive1911
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Your going in the right direction taking the safety course.
Here in Colorado they require the following for the safety class:
Boots - ankle high, sturdy, good traction sole
Helmet - here in Colorado it's not monitory after the class, but I never ride without one
Riding gloves - full finger was required for my class
eye protection - if you get one that has interchangeable lenses for daytime & night riding that you like - if not, get 2 different pairs

Ride within your limits, never over them and keep an eye out for everything even when there is nothing around you

Welcome from Colorado and enjoyy

I agree completely. As an instructor I can tell you all these are the most important things to get. Listen to the coaches in your class. Learn the correct technique first then practice practice practice. Remember if you make a mistake it's ok.. that's how we all learned no matter what other people say. Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:31 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Forget that bluetooth crap .............You shouldn't even be listening to music as a new rider...

If you ever get that bluetooth crap and talk on the phone while riding well you deserve what you get ...... I tell my brother the same thing.

Quality helmet , gloves , leather ..... heated jacket liner and gloves if your going to ride in cold weather.

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 03:35 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Full face, modular, or 3/4 helmet.

Motorcycle specific jacket and pants with shoulder, elbow, and back armor in the jacket, and hip, knee armor in the pants,

Leather boots that go over the ankle, and will not fly off in a crash.

Leather gloves with knuckle armor, specific motorcycle gloves.

State law varies, but make sure that you have the required learners permit, or motorcycle endorsement on you license before you start riding. In some states, (Florida) riding a motorcycle without a learners permit or motorcycle endorsement on your license is a criminal offense.

Enroll in a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) or State approved basic riders course before you do any riding other than training.

Good luck, enjoy.

Quick Reply: New Member in Tulsa, OK...what gear to get?