General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

communications question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Lennie Wagner
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default communications question

I'm a new rider and looking for a Bluetooth or not, communication system for rider to rider conversation for full face helmets. Mostly what I care about is price, clarity, and being totally hands free. I want to be able to talk to my wife on back or my brother on the bike next to me. If I can do that cheaper with-out being Bluetooth, then that would be great. If Bluetooth is the only option then I would also like to know if there is a reasonably priced fuzzbuster/gps out there that would come through the ear piece as well. I don't particularly care about listing to music while riding, so volume wouldn't need to be much of an issue. I've searched communication systems, but don't really understand the full needs and abilities of the products that they are selling.

Last edited by Lennie Wagner; 11-27-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I used the Sena SMH10.
I purchased extra headsets so I could easily use the system on both our full face helmets (for winter riding) and on our half helmets.
I was really pleased with how well it worked.

The volume was loud and clear and the noise canceling microphone very good.
I would be talking on the phone and the caller couldn't tell I was traveling down the highway at 75 mph.

That being said; I found that we both liked the freedom of half helmets better and adding the headset to a half helmet wasn't really feasible so other than a few times a year when we had full helmets on the system never got used.

So technology always advancing as it does I figured if I ever wanted any of my money back I better go ahead and sell what I had.
I sold the setup with about $100 loss and really don't miss it.

Now when we travel I simple turn my head and talk.
Sure it's not as clear but communication gets across.

Note that I never used it for bike to bike communication so with that need it might have been worth keeping it.
If I was in the market today for system, a Sena system would be the first system I'd consider.

Last edited by Bluraven; 11-28-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:25 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Being a new rider, the last thing you can afford to do is split your focus away from riding your motorcycle. For newbie's, it takes all of your skills to operate a motorcycle safely. Besides, why would you want to talk to them? Simple hand/foot signals can be used to inform others. But that's only if there's a dire need. Communication can be imperative in certain situations, but small talk isn't one of them. Chat when you stop.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Cardo Scala Rider

Old 11-28-2016, 12:03 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

If you decide to purchase a system the sena is the best option, works great on a 3/4 helmet

Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM
14cvoultra
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sena 20s not cheap but will do everything you want and they work great on both Half and full helmets. I have been using them for almost 3 years now. I tried 4 different brands before buying the 20s. There was no comparison.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Lennie Wagner
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Being a new rider, the last thing you can afford to do is split your focus away from riding your motorcycle. For newbie's, it takes all of your skills to operate a motorcycle safely. Besides, why would you want to talk to them? Simple hand/foot signals can be used to inform others. But that's only if there's a dire need. Communication can be imperative in certain situations, but small talk isn't one of them. Chat when you stop.
I understand your position on not being distracted. I'm not big on talking and I don't need to be talking to be happy like some people, but if I'm riding 100 miles and have to pull over to say a couple of words to someone, for me that's going to make riding pretty boring. I know that for a lot of people that's what it's all about (the piece and quite and freedom from everyone and everything). Maybe for me it will get there, but for now it's all about the adventure of getting around in a way that I never have before, and I want to share the experiences with those who are with me.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:46 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

As Norty Flatz understands, I'm a safety nut. I consider a bluetooth headset to be one of the most important safety features a rider can have.

My regular riding buddy and I both have one, and believe me, when whoever is in the lead yells "deer!!", or "rock in the next curve", or "pothole", or "oncoming truck was over the center line", you'll realize the importance of being able to share communications.

Ok, ok, fine, "I gotta pee" is important, too.

We started out on the SENA SMH10, and just moved up to the 10S. The 10S is less expensive than than the 20S, and unless you need to pair to 10 other bikes, the 10S will be all you need.

Crystal clear, one mile range in open terrain, pairs up to four headsets, built in FM with 10 presets, smartphone app that lets you do all the settings, it's awesome. You'll love it.

The following users liked this post:
JHL-ShinySideUp (12-04-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 06:36 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I really like the Sena 20S, great in all ways. Friends had the Scala and weren't happy. Sold them and went with the 20S