General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Like a Pro Houston

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Jesse H
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ride Like a Pro Houston

Had a chance to take this class this past weekend. The last time I took any formal motorcycle instruction was the MSF ERC over 10 years ago on a Suzuki SVS. Back then I found the course educational and challenging.

Ever since I've moved on to a Triumph Speed Triple, Suzuki B-King, and now the Harley Road King. This is the heaviest bike I've ever owned and although I got comfortable with it fairly quickly it never hurts to learn more.

I went into the class with an open mind, although I was skeptical I'd learn any new skills. I figured I had no issues already negotiating a u-turn on a 2 lane road.

We started off with a slow race, where you modulate the throttle, clutch, and rear brake to crawl as slow as possible. It's a simple exercise that really forces you to get comfortable with the basics. Then you move on to increasingly difficult patterns. When each new pattern is learned, after you run through it you still go back and run the previously learned patterns.

Throughout the morning, as we learned new patterns I felt like the previously learned patterns prepared me for the next step, thus things got easier. The class focused on the 4 fundamentals that they list on their website,

www.ridelikeaprohouston.com

Look where you want to go by physically turning your head and eyes, slipping the clutch, adding some throttle, and using the rear brake. It's all very basic but I suppose it's the application of all of them that's tricky.

My class of 7 were mostly riding Harley touring bikes. One had a Honda Shadow 750 and another was on a Harley Fatboy. Two dropped their bikes, one had crash bars so no damage. The Fatboy still had paper tags and no crash bars but the only damage was a clutch lever, mirror, and scuffing on the clutch case cover.

I was initially worried about dropping mine going into the class, but I remembered back to the MSF ERC where another student dropped his BMW touring bike a couple times. You're in an open parking lot where the patterns are marked off with cones or spray paint. If you can't make it, just let off the clutch, add some gas, stand the bike up and ride away. Go back and try again.

It's hard to compare this class to the ERC since I took that class a while ago. If I recall, the ERC did include some emergency braking then swerving (somebody please correct me). The RLAP focuses on applying the 4 fundamentals to get you through increasingly challenging patterns.

I came out being much more comfortable in being able to toss any 750 lb and heavier motorcycle around at full lock.

Both instructors are/were motorcycle officers. One of the assistant instructors isn't, but rides a Hayabusa and demonstrating the patterns on it. Overall I had fun and will try to take this or maybe the ERC again annually to keep my skills sharp; along with practicing in my own.

The following 5 users liked this post by Jesse H:
Back-n-Black (12-13-2016), Capt Steve (12-12-2016), JHL-ShinySideUp (12-22-2016), mctraveler (12-12-2016), Rumblin (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Jerry Palladino's Ride Like A Pro is the BEST BEST BEST thing I EVER DID motorcycle wise.

I always plug his Ride Like A Pro video. (I get nothing for it so there is no personal interest here.)

http://RideLikeAPro.com

It REALLY teaches you in 3-4 hours how to ride TRULY like the pro's.

Your confidence goes way up (don't get cocky), you can handle parking lots like it was nothing.

You REALLY stand out like a PRO! And ANYONE can do it on ANY ANY ANY bike.

Some of the long time hardcore rough tough bikers got a bit upset since I was new easily and constantly scraping right and left floorboards (which is not a great thing to do regularly) doing circles around them literally and figuratively but either way............ it is GREAT for your safety and others as well mastering the control of your bike.

THANK YOU JERRY PALLADINO!!!!

BuzzCap7

Old 12-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Bought his video and book combo a couple years ago. It was a great investment. I went out and found some small collapsible soccer cones and set up the different courses. I learned a ton and became greatly more comfortable and confident at slow speeds on an 800 lb touring bike. Highly recommend them.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:54 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I have the DVD and will be watching it this week, just had my SGS brought home

Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
I have the DVD and will be watching it this week, just had my SGS brought home
EXCELLENT!!!!

Maybe people can get together locally and join one of the classes. Likely get a quantity discount.

If after taking the class or practicing by yourself like purpledeuce above said.....if u r in SE Florida, I will go out to the tarmac and practice with you.

I used to (informally) teach this program. I strongly endorse it. Problem is finding the right location to practice without getting kicked out.

I am in the Palm Beach / Broward area if anyone in SE Florida is interested.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-13-2016, 05:38 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

We have a group of 6 that is looking to take this class... Thanks for the info.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
We have a group of 6 that is looking to take this class... Thanks for the info.
If the above is referencing me, the offer was for the Palm Beach/Broward Counties in SE Florida my friend. It appears you are in Texas. Then it is the matter of finding a location. THAT is the big issue.

I used to teach it at FAU where the police practiced. But that is not available anymore. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a new location. I have given up. Maybe someone else can secure one where we will not be thrown out.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-13-2016, 07:30 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
If the above is referencing me, the offer was for the Palm Beach/Broward Counties in SE Florida my friend. It appears you are in Texas. Then it is the matter of finding a location. THAT is the big issue.

I used to teach it at FAU where the police practiced. But that is not available anymore. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a new location. I have given up. Maybe someone else can secure one where we will not be thrown out.

BuzzCap7
I was thanking the OP..

Yes we are in Houston but we have considered doing a road trip to Florida to attend the original location for a class...but at this time I'm not sure where we are going to take it.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 AM
FattyMcJ
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

I watch his videos on YouTube, and every day at lunch I practice in the parking lot across the street.

After I crashed my 86 honda shadow not knowing WTF I was doing, and my Dad kept dropping his softail in slow maneuvers, we started diligently following his techniques.

Head & Eyes, your bike will follow.

Now, we're both much more competent riders and I don't have to worry about where I'm parking anymore because I can get this big GeezerGlide into/out of just about anywhere.

I didn't buy his video, because why? He puts everything on YouTube for free lol

Old 12-13-2016, 12:28 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7

BuzzCap7
Metro or commuter train stations usually have big parking lots. Around my area the trains don't run on Sunday's so there's lots of practice room. I think the best thing we can do as riders is brush up and practice our skills as often as possible. I last took the MSF course 18 years ago. I'm going to take it again in the Spring

Quick Reply: Ride Like a Pro Houston