General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head getting cold riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 04:36 AM
aarondeere
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Head getting cold riding

I ride a softail slim with a windshield and in cold weather under 25 degrees am having problems with my head getting cold and getting headaches from it. I use a bell Bullitt full face helmet and currently have the vents taped off since there is no manual shut off of them. Also wear a neck scarf to keep the cold out. Seems like it's the cold coming through all the padding. Used a balaclava once but it's too tight with the helmet and also gives me headaches due to the tightness. How do you guys do it and are there better helmets that might work better. The windshield keeps all the wind off me and I've got everything else pretty well figured out riding in the cold. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:48 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

You need a better quality helmet that fits your head shape properly. Depending on the brand and shape of your head the size you think you wear might not be the best fit.

Also I don't know what brand or type of balaclava you are wearing?? I have a few and some are made of a wool or thicker material that makes it a PITA to fit under a helmet. I found that the Athletic company Under Armour makes a cold weather balaclava that is very thin but efficient @ keeping heat in and deflecting wind. Can pick 1 up for $20 or less and It fits perfect under a helmet

Old 12-20-2016, 04:54 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=sk...i+masks&page=1

Maybe one of these might be thinner. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:13 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

+ 1 on the helmet for sure.I didn't know how good a helmet could be till I picked up an S2 by Schuberth for the lil lady. Super thick neck roll. Or,you could slap a few of those hand warmers inside your lid and be like Ghost Rider.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:18 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

25 degrees. Sorry is my only answer if you need to ride.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:18 AM
aarondeere
Cruiser

The bell is a very good helmet. Fits perfect without the balaclava. Snug enough but not tight and very comfortable anytime it's warmer than cold weather. The balaclava is a klim so it very thin and made for helmets. Hate to spend a chunk of money on another helmet only to find the same problem. Or I guess I could solve the problem by just not riding when it's that cold. Lol

Old 12-20-2016, 05:59 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I have ridden in subzero (C) temperatures all day in my Schuberth C3 Pro helmet without my head getting cold. I haven't used a balaclava over my head, but do use a buff/snood/neckwarmer thing.

The C3 Pro has close able vents, plus a little fabric flap in the helmet lining for cld weather riding that stops cold air getting in. It's a modular flip front helmet, so the chin curtain is much snugger than a typical full face helmet.

Anyway....it's also an expensive helmet, so difficult to advise that you go and buy one just to try it out unless you can find somewhere that does good return policies!

One other thing you might try though is Gerbings make an electrically heated balaclava - that should definitely work....

Old 12-20-2016, 06:08 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=sk...i+masks&page=1

Maybe one of these might be thinner. Good luck.
Or something similar

Old 12-20-2016, 06:15 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

I wear a heated jacket liner and heated gloves along with a Shoei Helmet. My head is never cold. Heating your body and hands can make the rest of you feel warm.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 AM
aarondeere
Cruiser

Thanks. Its looking like maybe a different helmet would make the difference. Maybe I'll start looking. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Head getting cold riding