General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1000 AUD enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:32 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 156 Likes on 73 Posts
Cool $1000 AUD enough?

Our Harley dealership is running a "loyalty" discount if you trade in and get a new bike. They are offering $1000 AUD off sticker price for the touring range.
What do you think? - is this enough of an incentive (other than the benefits of the new 107 motor) to trade - in and upgrade? I currently have a 2014 FLHTK.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Alone, I believe it is a sucker discount. If they are only offering the $1000 discount off sticker it is a joke. They'll make that up on your trade, fees and an extended warranty, if purchased.

Now, if the $1000 discount was in addition to a $1000 gift card and a free 1k and 5k service and a fair trade value I might think about it.

If you're in no rush and want a discount on a new bike, wait till late summer and fall when they are trying to clear out the '17's for the '18's. They'll be more likely to deal then but no guarantees.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Better than a swift kick to the cajones!

Old 01-20-2017, 02:03 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

It's a slight of hand trick. They aren't giving you anything. They will short change you on your trade by $2000 AUD. They will hide fees here and there. It's not a deal at all.

You're better off selling your bike yourself and negotiating an "out the door" price with the dealer. I don't know what the slow riding season is there, but you might want to wait until winter?

Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I guess it all depends on what sticker price is and what they are offering you on the Trade. Not trying to be an *** but honestly just saying 1000 off sticker price does not give the buyer enough information. What the promotion will do is get people thinking and get some in the door.

$1000 AUD is roughly $750 USD. If sticker price is MSRP is not that great of a deal and as others have said there are many ways for a dealership to manipulate that such as making it up on the trade by offering you less on the trade. Also I have no idea how the dealers usually deal in AUS, do they usually get sticker price with no room to haggle or are they like dealers in the US were there is sticker price and their is the price you can negotiate them down to

If you are seriously thinking of trading for a 17 I would forget about the trade and walk in and negotiate a price that you are comfortable with on the new unit using the $1000 AUD as a starting point. Once you have a price you are willing to pay then bring the trade into the picture and if you do not get the price you want on the 17 and the trade in amount you feel is fair then walk

Old 01-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Clack

Have a look at your sig line. You have your bike the way you want it and it's a fine machine; far from worn out. Whatever you would trade it for in the Harley line up is not a night and day improvement as some might have you believe. That's the beauty of a Harley; later today I'm headed out on my 15 year old model and it's gonna do the same thing a new one does.

Take the money you'll lose trading every couple years and ride/travel. Experiences are always worth more than things. That said, that's just one American redneck's opinion and worth what you paid for it

Old 01-20-2017, 08:19 AM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 156 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Clack

Have a look at your sig line. You have your bike the way you want it and it's a fine machine; far from worn out. Whatever you would trade it for in the Harley line up is not a night and day improvement as some might have you believe. That's the beauty of a Harley; later today I'm headed out on my 15 year old model and it's gonna do the same thing a new one does.

Take the money you'll lose trading every couple years and ride/travel. Experiences are always worth more than things. That said, that's just one American redneck's opinion and worth what you paid for it
You are right - I stand to lose too much if I traded now - its only just hit 30,000 KM on the clock so she's barely run in! Also I want to get the maximum value and enjoyment out of the accessories and add-ons I've poured money into. You have given good advice - this one's a "keeper" for a few more years at least --until I wear her out.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
It's a slight of hand trick. They aren't giving you anything. They will short change you on your trade by $2000 AUD. They will hide fees here and there. It's not a deal at all. ?

Exactly!

It is a numbers game.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:30 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Why trade in a 3 year old bike and start the payments all over again, to possibly save $1,000?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:41 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Why trade in a 3 year old bike and start the payments all over again, to possibly save $1,000?

It's the new math all of the kids are talking about

Quick Reply: $1000 AUD enough?