General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best project bike for father and son

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:37 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
It was a thought but I don't have it in me to go out and support that hobby. Dirt bikes don't offer much in the way of garage time with my son with a Miller Lite in my hand and the radio wailing.
What is your priority? Your son learning to safely ride or "garage time with my son with a Miller Lite in my hand and the radio wailing. ''?

I don't know your son, but when I got my first scooter, a Yamaha 60cc, I was 14 and not nearly big enough to handle a Sportster, as others have suggested. That was 49 years ago and I am still riding, unlike everyone that I knew back then. A rider's first experiences may determine how long, or even if, they want to continue riding.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:42 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I'd say if you're trying to get him into riding, and want to build something together, build something he can ride. It should be something you can fix up but aren't to get a scratch on. Maybe old rice or a late model sporty

Old 03-27-2017, 01:35 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,637 Posts

You need to be very cautious when buying any bike with restoration in mind as you can very quickly invest more in the restoration process than what the bike will be worth when it's completed.

The resale value on H-D's these days aren't like they used to be and there's a ton of 'em with low mileage on the market.

Hope you find a suitable project bike.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:27 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

In all honesty it doesn't have to be old to accomplish what you want. my dad and I tore apart anything and everything back in the day, just because we could. Or because we wanted to do a color change, or motor swap, or whatever. You could get a late model bike that runs perfectly that was just the wrong color, and completely disassemble it, repaint and color match the frame, and he would learn tons about that bike in the process. There is no reason, you couldn't tear into a perfectly functioning engine or trans to reseal it, just to get the experience. I've taught many people doing just that. Food for thought.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:37 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only thing better than a project bike is two project bikes. What about a Honda rebel or whatever it is around 250cc. Fun little bike that is light and easy for a beginner. Chop it up some so it looks cool, let him rattle can paint it and then ride it some. While he's enjoying that start wrenching on a sporty. Then when the sporty is done he is better suited to handle the weight and power.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:05 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyH83
The only thing better than a project bike is two project bikes. What about a Honda rebel or whatever it is around 250cc. Fun little bike that is light and easy for a beginner. Chop it up some so it looks cool, let him rattle can paint it and then ride it some. While he's enjoying that start wrenching on a sporty. Then when the sporty is done he is better suited to handle the weight and power.
That's a thought as well. Maybe the neighbor would let him park the Honda in their garage seriously though it is a good idea.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:07 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
In all honesty it doesn't have to be old to accomplish what you want. my dad and I tore apart anything and everything back in the day, just because we could. Or because we wanted to do a color change, or motor swap, or whatever. You could get a late model bike that runs perfectly that was just the wrong color, and completely disassemble it, repaint and color match the frame, and he would learn tons about that bike in the process. There is no reason, you couldn't tear into a perfectly functioning engine or trans to reseal it, just to get the experience. I've taught many people doing just that. Food for thought.
This is more than likely what will happen. I have been checking prices in Craigslist and I am consistently seeing bikes in the 2500-3500 dollar mark and they are all late model 1999 and up. There are a couple 70s models that are actually listed for that price range as well so doesn't make much sense to spend the same on older.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:51 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I am selling my 2001 Indian Scout Tribal Edition. Has the S & S 88ci engine, 5 speed tranny. Has the Super E Carb. She has 13,700 miles on her.

Attached Thumbnails Best project bike for father and son-imag2237.jpg   Best project bike for father and son-imag2241.jpg   Best project bike for father and son-imag2239.jpg   Best project bike for father and son-imag2242.jpg   Best project bike for father and son-imag2244.jpg  

Best project bike for father and son-imag2240.jpg  
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 336 Likes on 291 Posts

Best?

One that dad has experience repairing.
One that is appreciating - restoration cost recovery.
One for the son at age 12 - maybe not too fast or heavy.

So many choices.
What about a two stroke engine - simple design typically and easy for son to take over repairs and maintenance once assembled.

Just awesome have fun.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Another vote for a Sportster

Quick Reply: Best project bike for father and son