General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best project bike for father and son

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:06 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac
Let us know what you come up with! I'm still a sporty fan. It's a bike he won't grow out of likely. Heck, I'm 54 and it's still the only bike I ride.
Ultimately more than likely we will get him some jap dirt bike to put around with around the area. Then over the next few years slowly get a sporty done up nice. He can take it over once he passes all safety and rider courses and as long as he maintains grades and doesn't become a disrespectful snowflake. (That one is on me so that won't happen!)

Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Great! Snowflake was not an option when I was growing up. Started out with an old Yamaha 80. Dang fun bike that was for a kid my size. My Dad's only stipulation was that I had to pick it up from the ground. Sounds funny, but hey, this was many years ago. So my Dad drove me to the guys house where he was going to buy it, and the guy took the old bike out into his front yard and laid it down in the cool grass. They both sat back and lit a smoke, and said "there you are boy". Pick it up. With all my might I tried and tried. Every inch of me I put into picking that bike up. And I failed. I was 11. I could not do it. But low and behold, many years later my Dad told me that that was a good friend of his at work, and they set the whole thing up. That bike was under the Christmas tree a few weeks after that day anyway. Fun times to remember.

The following users liked this post:
skid_pimp (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac
Great! Snowflake was not an option when I was growing up. Started out with an old Yamaha 80. Dang fun bike that was for a kid my size. My Dad's only stipulation was that I had to pick it up from the ground. Sounds funny, but hey, this was many years ago. So my Dad drove me to the guys house where he was going to buy it, and the guy took the old bike out into his front yard and laid it down in the cool grass. They both sat back and lit a smoke, and said "there you are boy". Pick it up. With all my might I tried and tried. Every inch of me I put into picking that bike up. And I failed. I was 11. I could not do it. But low and behold, many years later my Dad told me that that was a good friend of his at work, and they set the whole thing up. That bike was under the Christmas tree a few weeks after that day anyway. Fun times to remember.
I was 6 and hopped on a little peewee dirt bike. Ran it straight into a hay bail. I was hooked for life!