General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rules on buying a H-D

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 AM
GrittyBurns
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Rules on buying a H-D

So I heard way-back-when that there are rules when buying a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Rules that you cannot "Google". Well, maybe you will be able to after this...

I was told that you always bring the asking price in CA$H, and no test drives. Of course inspections of the bike and maintenance records, but no nonsense.

This is from a good friend with H-D heritage in the family, not someone trying to sell me a bike with no nonsense.

Anyone heard about these rules? Any more that should be recognized?

Old 03-30-2017, 09:52 AM
kculp
Cruiser

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I test drive, bring your license and insurance to document. I suppose cash held by third party would help. If you go to a dealer, test drive a similar bike before going to a private party. Do your homework. You definitely need to know what your after (or rent a bike model of interest as others have suggested). Don't go private party shopping if you don't know what you want.

Really depends a bit on trust. Chat with the seller. I sold one about 9 months ago and let lookers ride. As a buyer I can tell in the driveway usually if they don't know what they are doing just by the types of questions asked. If the buyer has no experience with a heavier bike, I probably would be more cautious and want cash in hand. Car keys could be held too.

The only other thing I can think of is let the seller ride along with you on a second bike.

Last edited by kculp; 03-30-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:04 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

It's not "way-back-when" anymore.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

As far as I am concerned "rules" would be no different no matter what brand of bike it is.

Some sellers won't allow you to test drive it, some will. Some would want you to have the cash or other collateral before the test drive others would not care.

Some sellers would want to tag along on another bike or car others would let you go alone.

Its all about trust between the buyer and seller and I don't think it matters if the bike says HD on the side or Honda

Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 AM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 237 Likes on 145 Posts

I think that the seller's "rules" will depend on how badly he or she wants to sell the bike. The days of not being able to find a Harley to buy are long gone!!

Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,814 Likes on 6,220 Posts

We're bikers. We don't do "rules".

Old 03-30-2017, 11:02 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Seems the replies are relative to private party sales. If I was selling private party, I might be inclined to request cash to cover my deductible prior to a test ride. With the proper signed ducenrnts, such as done at some car rental outlets regarding previous damage.

Maybe that's why so many people prefer the less hassle, lost $$, approach of a dealer.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Rule #1, never talk about the rules.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:34 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Perhaps you should review the "rules" about trolling on Harley forums. You already broke a bunch of them!
first post, check out his location Lol

Old 03-30-2017, 11:41 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Used bike. Know what you are willing to pay. What expectation the bike must met to bring your price. If it is at a dealer it is marked up. If not it is still marketed up sell thinks he should get what a dealer can he is wrong.
Cash is meaningless. Seller get paid no madder what so for get that stuff. Dealer may want to finance , they often make money on on it.
What the bike is work is not what NADA says or what Bubba is listing one for. It is what they have been selling for.
Only one rule know what you are willing to pay.

Quick Reply: Rules on buying a H-D