General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moab... Arches National Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking Moab... Arches National Park

Towed the Dyna SG up to Moab from Tucson for some serious canyons fun. This shot was taken in Arches National Park looking southeast to the snowcapped Lasal mountains. A little chilly this morning, low forties to mid fifties for the 4 hours ride through the park and back to our RV.

Tomorrow we are doing the 150 mile round trip to Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse State Park. Suppose to be a little warmer {hopefully}. If you have never been out to this part of the country you need to find the time. These parks are awesome and come with some fine bike roads as an added bonus. Depending on the road conditions we will be headed to either Colorado or continuing our exploration of the canyon country of Utah.

I modified the Kendon trailer a little more swapping out the 8" boards that parallel the loading ramps for these 12 inchers. Now I have plenty of room for my boots and loading/unloading is apiece of cake.

Name:  IMG_1616_zpsmewnwsba.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  224.3 KB

Last edited by Capt Steve; 04-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Arches is an amazing ride. You have to see it to believe it. Sadly, nowdays in the summer it turns into a traffic jam. It looks like you got there early enough to miss the crowds, so good move.

If you end up going west, try to catch Scenic Highway 12 between Torrey and Bryce. It's also amazing, but it might still be cold going over the mountains south of Torrey...

If you end up going into Colorado, I always try to catch Colorado Highway 141 from the Naturita area up to Grand Junction. It winds you through a canyon that feels a lot like Highway 128 out of Moab (also a great ride).

You're in beautiful country down there, so I guess it doesn't matter which way you go. It's all good!

Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 PM
Offroadmaniac
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love that area, on side x sides or bikes

Old 04-05-2017, 07:50 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Been 4Xing in Moab 3 times.
The weather can be very unpredictable
During Easter Safari I have have seen anyplace form the low 70's to snow and high winds.
Moab area is gorgeous.
Enjoy and ride safe

Old 04-05-2017, 08:19 AM
RWTDCT
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts

I have been there on my bike and hauled my side x side there. Beautiful area, should be on every ones bucket list.

Last edited by RWTDCT; 04-05-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 AM
CaptKirk
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thats awesome! Tell me about your trailer set up. I have a class "C" motor home and have been wanting to do just that. Kinda been worried about not being able to see it back there and what do you do with the trailer at the park? Do you get much crap kicked up on the bike since it is an open trailer?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking Love my Kendon trailer...

Originally Posted by CaptKirk
Thats awesome! Tell me about your trailer set up. I have a class "C" motor home and have been wanting to do just that. Kinda been worried about not being able to see it back there and what do you do with the trailer at the park? Do you get much crap kicked up on the bike since it is an open trailer?

Thanks
I can't see the trailer in the mirrors but its shadow usually reminds me it is there. Bike and trailer weigh less than 900# so I sure don't feel it with the V-10. Most parks, like this one, we fit just fine but if space was tight I can just fold the trailer up and stand it vertically. The footprint is just a couple of feet.

We drove through about 3 hours of rain and a little snow on the way up and the bike was filthy when we arrived in Moab. One wet rag and one dry had it looking pretty good in about 15 minutes. So far I have yet to see any sign that road debris can kick up into the bike and that after thousands of miles. I think because it is so close to the rear of the coach and centered that road junk just does not get to it.

Here is a pic of the trailer stored vertically in my garage {that is a bicycle rack up against the wall behind it} It rolls around on 3 hard rubber casters when vertical:

Last edited by Capt Steve; 04-05-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,862 Likes on 21,491 Posts

Thanks for the pics guys!!
Beautiful!!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM
CaptKirk
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey, thanks for the trailer info. Ya mine has the good old V10 also. No worries there! I think it would pull a tank!

Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

ditto hwy 12 route, I did Torrey to Bryce but either direction should be great. In Boulder, Hell's Backbone Café is a nice stop for food/beverage.
Beautiful country, Enjoy

Quick Reply: Moab... Arches National Park