General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 04:01 PM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyH83
What about the Dakota digital gauge? Then there is no line right just wires from the sending unit?
I'm old school and prefer analog. I already have a digital gauge on my RGS which I dislike.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,685 Likes on 6,685 Posts

I believe an oil pressure gauge on a Harley is just a cause for anxiety & something else to fail.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:16 PM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I believe an oil pressure gauge on a Harley is just a cause for anxiety & something else to fail.
You could be right. I understand the operating range, when hot, is 10 PSI to 35 PSI. If it drops to 9, even though it's probably okay, you're gonna be thinking somethings not right in the back of your mind.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C

I'm more the, knowledge is power, type; I know exactly what happens when I alter idle RPM's or change my oil cooler and oil filter relocation oil lines; I've seen the difference between foolish 20W-50 and SAE 50 in these engines under different ambient temperatures; but, go right ahead and stay asleep.

Not interested in the Pollyanna world of it's all going to be OK, that's for the kiddies; a quality oil pressure gauge isn't going to 'fail', unless you ham-fisted the install, and then, stupid should most certainly hurt...

Old 04-27-2017, 04:22 AM
Racer78
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a quick question on the installation. I just ordered up a Jerzees set up. I'm guessing not but do you need to drop the oil to install the fitting?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2017, 06:21 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer78
Just a quick question on the installation. I just ordered up a Jerzees set up. I'm guessing not but do you need to drop the oil to install the fitting?

Thanks

I've done it both ways, you'll have a bit of engine oil drool out of the case when you remove the pressure switch. I've used a 15/16" deep socket to remove the switch so it's not damaged. Use a bit of pipe thread dope on the pressure switch threads and the new Jerzee fitting threads; put the pressure switch on the fitting first, then install the new fitting back in the case.

Don't over-tighten the Jerzee fitting in the case to get the oil line positioned vertical, you can damage the case threading. If it's tight and the oil line won't be vertical when attached to the Jerzee fitting remove the fitting from the case and rotate it to a new position and try it again; about the only way you can mess this up is over-tightening the fitting in the case...

Old 04-27-2017, 06:24 AM
Racer78
Cruiser

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master

Originally Posted by Racer78
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Cheers.
I would like to see a picture of your installed unit and any feedback you have on the installation.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Racer78
Cruiser

No problem. I ordered the black mount with the midnight black gauge. Greg over at Jerzees has been really good with quick replies and shipping update. I should have it at my shipping address Monday.

The following users liked this post:
HDMIKETN64 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 06:48 PM
Racer78
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDMIKETN64
I would like to see a picture of your installed unit and any feedback you have on the installation.
So Greg at Jerzees shipped the gauge kit quick enough where I was able to pick it up over the weekend at my post office address. First impressions when opening the box was that a lot of care was taken to package the parts. Quality was very good including the powder coating.
Pretty simple and straight forward installation. I have a Deuce and I think due to the longer fuel tank had to unbolt the rear fuel tank mounting tab, loosen the front bolts, just enough to lift it up to clear the rocker box bolts length. This also helped with getting the torque wrench under the tank also. The triple clamp bolt trim cap was also removed to give be clearance when I tilted the tank forward so the dash didn't make contact. All pretty simple.
As stated to me in a previous post, you can definitely over tighten the adapter into the case. I have a tendency of over tightening bolts so I was very careful when installing this part. I still felt like I could have thrown a few more inch pounds at it but it was better to error on the side of caution, Lol. Teflon tee taped all joints.
I turned the adapter fitting just slightly back toward the motor. I didn't want to chance the header pipe melting the braided stainless line coating.
Took it for a good rip and let it get to operating temperature. No leaks or issues. Works great.
I'm really happy with my choice to buy the Oil Gauge Kit from Jerzees. Thanks to this forum, I was able to see all the feed back with all the kit options out there and made the right choice.
A few photos.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Gauge-photo823.jpg   Oil Pressure Gauge-photo174.jpg   Oil Pressure Gauge-photo733.jpg   Oil Pressure Gauge-photo441.jpg  

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge