General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The getting older and still riding thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:37 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default The getting older and still riding thread.

A member, on another part of the forum, announced that it was time for him to give up riding. I thought the challenges of being an older rider would make for a good discussion. I am in my mid 60's and in excellent overall health. Exercise regularly. Don't take any prescription med's. All of my vitals are good. What is not so good is the aches and pains and the arthritis. In order to keep riding I had to buy a Softail, which was never my first choice in a bike. But it was a concession to lighter weight and more forward floor boards. My hips just won't take anything less than the Softail floor boards. The other issue is handlebars. Higher handle bars kill my shoulders. So that is the reason I am on a Softail Slim. I can still ride in relative comfort, but there are no 200 plus miles days left for me. I sometimes ride with a group and I make sure I know where they are going before I commit. If its approaching 200 miles or more I decline. The other thing about getting older is you don't sleep as well. I have had to force myself to just not get on the bike on those days I am tired. With my delayed reactions I no longer feel safe if I am not well rested. And the cold bothers me a lot more than it did a few years ago. What was once a fine temperature to ride is now a day to stay home. Another adjustment I have made is I can no longer do some of my own wrenching. Maintenance items are not an issue. But doing cam changes are behind me. It took me days to get over the last one I did. All the squatting and hunching over just about wiped me out. I plan to continue to enjoy riding as long as I can. But I have already had to make some adjustments. The hardest part is accepting that you can no longer do what you once could. Would like to hear your experiences.

The following 3 users liked this post by martin10:
Firenailer (05-25-2017), rleedeuce (07-01-2017), sparkalot (05-04-2017)

Top Answer

05-10-2017, 10:18 AM
bigfredtn
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

My Dad is 83 and still rides.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm getting older and still riding.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:01 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll be turning 65 in a few months, just had orascoptic surgery to my right knee, while in there the Dr. cleaned up the torn cartilage, at least no pain now, but the knee still feels like if I just move the wrong way it would just break in two.
After about a three week rest I rode for the first time since the surgery just a few days ago. No problem with the riding, it's the getting on and off the bike that's the difficult part, carried a cane in the saddle bag.
The DMV gave me a handicap cards for the windshields for my vehicles, I bet someone would rip it off if I hung it on the windshield of my bike.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:05 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

getting older my self. If I am on a trip with a lot of twisties I must stop for a bit as my shoulder kills me from the arthritis. Take a couple of motrins and on the way I am again.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:18 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
A member, on another part of the forum, announced that it was time for him to give up riding. I thought the challenges of being an older rider would make for a good discussion. I am in my mid 60's and in excellent overall health. Exercise regularly. Don't take any prescription med's. All of my vitals are good. What is not so good is the aches and pains and the arthritis. In order to keep riding I had to buy a Softail, which was never my first choice in a bike. But it was a concession to lighter weight and more forward floor boards. My hips just won't take anything less than the Softail floor boards. The other issue is handlebars. Higher handle bars kill my shoulders. So that is the reason I am on a Softail Slim. I can still ride in relative comfort, but there are no 200 plus miles days left for me. I sometimes ride with a group and I make sure I know where they are going before I commit. If its approaching 200 miles or more I decline. The other thing about getting older is you don't sleep as well. I have had to force myself to just not get on the bike on those days I am tired. With my delayed reactions I no longer feel safe if I am not well rested. And the cold bothers me a lot more than it did a few years ago. What was once a fine temperature to ride is now a day to stay home. Another adjustment I have made is I can no longer do some of my own wrenching. Maintenance items are not an issue. But doing cam changes are behind me. It took me days to get over the last one I did. All the squatting and hunching over just about wiped me out. I plan to continue to enjoy riding as long as I can. But I have already had to make some adjustments. The hardest part is accepting that you can no longer do what you once could. Would like to hear your experiences.
X2 and lovin every minute of it !

Have you considered the alternatives ?

Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

I will quit riding my Electro Glide when it quits being fun.

Back and knee problems made me consider a trike. Not for me. There are many three and four wheel options on the market. One in particular had appeal. Do not remember the company name but it had two wheels that dropped down when stopped, then folded back up when moving again. Outriggers, you had a four wheel vehicle at stop lights then two wheels again on the move. One way to keep leaning into curves and not worry about dropping it when stopped. Other options include two wheels in front that lean.

Another choice is a sidecar. That is a whole nuther world.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:03 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 832 Posts

I'll be 66 in June. I've been riding since the mid-1960s. Can't even imagine giving it up, but I know my body isn't 25 years old anymore. I have spinal stenosis, arthritis, ruptured discs, and pinched nerves in my back. I painted the wrought iron railings on my porch a few days ago, and my lower back hurt like I'd moved a house full of furniture. My trips are 100 miles or less now, but I take 25-30 mile pleasure rides with no problems. I had to give up the heavy bikes myself, but found a Dyna with forward controls is very comfortable. I can't do mid controls at all because it just hurts my lower back. You adjust your bike to fit your needs and keep riding! I had a Softail for awhile, but I'm not a fan of the "B" engine. It just felt wrong to me, smooth at idle, but vibrating at speed. Plus the "under the engine" shocks weren't very comfortable for my back. The dyna has a better ride, at least for me. What bikes are you older guys riding?

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 04-29-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:10 AM
airjoe
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, sucks to get old.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

I'll be 68 in August. Got my m/c endorsement in 1967. Been lucky to have had a lot of bikes in the last 50 yrs. Currently riding a 2017 HD Iron Sportster. Last bike was a RK, but I missed the nimbleness of a lightweight bike. Ride mostly 2lane, hill/mountain country roads.
Take a handful of pills for BP and Cholesterol, but am fairly trim and work out 3xper week, without fail. I suffer no joint, back or neck pain, no arthritis, and just passed my new DL without glasses restriction, (although I do wear them while riding/driving). I do feel more comfortable on a "standard" bike like my Sporty, than if I had to ride a "Sport" bike. I'm sure my neck and wrists would get tired of that forward lean position. Generally my rides are under 100 miles, but lots of hills, turns, curves, and bad road paving. No numbness in my hands or feet. Ride on as long as possible.

Couple years ago I bought a BMW K1200RS from a guy that was in his 80's. He said he had to sell it because he couldn't keep it under 100mph on the highway. He bought another bike to replace it.

Last edited by LoneWoolf; 04-29-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:27 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,386 Posts

If you CAN ride and WANT to ride, do it.
If you're UNABLE to ride, or don't WANT to ride, don't ride. Sell the bike(s), and move on to something else - or sell the Hog and buy a mid-sized bike.

Quick Reply: The getting older and still riding thread.