General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laser eye surgery and riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Desrosiers
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Laser eye surgery and riding

Been wearing contacts for a long time. No issues on short rides but longer rides (wear goggle type sunglasses) the eyes still get dry/sore with contacts in. If anyone has had laser eye correction...how is riding. Good, bad, indifferent from contacts/glasses?? Thanks.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I've had Lasik or whatever its called. Riding is fine, I wear riding glasses with the foam around the edges and no issues.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

Dry eye is a potential side effect of LASIK surgery. That being said, your contacts will dry faster than your uncovered cornea as your eye has to lubricate not just itself, but also the contact and the nerves that stimulate tear production are in your cornea, covered by the contact. Most people that have had LASIK don't suffer from dry eye long term. It affects 95% of surgeries, but is usually short lived, like gone in a few weeks. I would think a good set of goggles or above mentioned sunglasses with a wind gasket (I love WileyX) would work well. I know many many bikers that have had LASIK and ride no issue. (I'm an optician if you couldn't tell)

The following users liked this post:
BikerPepe` (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:38 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Some side effects may be double vision or halo effect during night riding. I am the 1% who had unsuccessful LASIK and now back to contacts, Esclera due to need to cover more cornea and severe dry eyes. I would get a second opinion on whether your suitable. I regret having done the surgery.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Absolutely love my lasik surgery been almost 18 years since i had it done...just love it....20/20 with normal eye lubrication.... no issues at all.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 PM
cigardave007
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it and thank us later

Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

Had PRK 12 years ago and no problems. The Navy didn't do Lasik back then. I didn't have a choice but it was free.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:02 PM
djorgensen3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Had Lasik done 6 years ago and wish technology was as good 20 years ago so I could have done it sooner. I had the dry eyes for about 3 months and had halos at night for about 1 month. I can tell when my eyes are tired because focusing becomes more difficult but in spite of the issues, I would do it again if needed without question.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
Some side effects may be double vision or halo effect during night riding. I am the 1% who had unsuccessful LASIK and now back to contacts, Esclera due to need to cover more cornea and severe dry eyes. I would get a second opinion on whether your suitable. I regret having done the surgery.
I am also part of a group that had unsuccessful Lasik surgery - so its more than 1%
I was far-sighted with great vision to see at distance but needed reading glasses - I had Lasik surgery in both eyes last August - Dr went too far and I became near-sighted - after months of waiting for the eyes to settle into their final adjustments so the Dr could figure out a correction - I dealt with lots of issues: light sensitivity, halos around lights at night and dry eyes, just 4 weeks ago I finally had an adjustment done to try and correct my right eye - Its better but I think my original vision was better at distance - in 2-3 months we will try and correct the left eye and I'll end up with mono vision (1 for distance 1 for close-up)
Bottom line - its not an exact science - everyones eyes are different - its a 50-50 chance you'll like it or hate it.
If you do it, do 1 at a time.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:56 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

I had mine done 10 years ago. I still have better than 20/20 vision. best thing that I have ever done. the doc that did mine was one of the leading docs in lasik and is the go to guy for training.

don't skimp on this, your eyes are super important, do you really want to go to Walmart for it? also, make sure you know what your money is covering. some places advertise $x amount but then nickel and dime you for everything and it ends up costing more. mine was a set amount. no extra charge for exams after the fact, no extra charge for the 'adjustment' that had to be done on the right eye, and no extra charge for all the follow ups for the next year.

Quick Reply: Laser eye surgery and riding