General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Position: Splitting/Passing/Fast Lane

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Bruce 140.6
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lane Position: Splitting/Passing/Fast Lane

I was curious everyone's lane position when riding in the passing/fast/HOV lane and for CA riders their lane position when line splitting... Usually I am either going with the flow of traffic or faster so passing cars, but still have other bikes going faster who pass me.

When traffic starts to build or slow down I position the bike closer to the right portion of the lane so I can split when safe, and move to the left portion of the lane when I see another bike coming up behind me so they can pass, then I move back over to the right portion of the lane.

But when riding on an open freeway with no traffic and in the passing/fast lane or HOV lane do you ride in the left portion of the lane (closer to the shoulder) so other bikes can pass on the right? or do you ride in the right portion of the line closer to lane two so bikes can pass on the left?

Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

The left lane is for passing. You're supposed to stay in the right lane(s) unless passing!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Stick_FSMC
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

I have been lane splitting for decades.

If I am splitting, I usually do it between the #1/#2 lanes.

If I have another bike approaching me from behind while splitting, I will move to the left and signal them to go past me. If they are catching up to me, they are in a bigger hurry than I and it is the proper thing to do to let them go.

I will do the same thing even if I'm not splitting. If I am just hanging out in the car pool lane and another bike comes up from behind, let them pass.

It seems easier to me to let them pass on my right. I move to the left so I have not surrendered my lane, but I will take my right hand off the throttle and use it to wave them forward. That way, I have acknowledged their presence and there is no question that I am going to stay out of their way as they pass. It is just common courtesy.

The following users liked this post:
Bruce 140.6 (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:06 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Unless I'm passing somebody, I usually stay in the right lane. Out in rural America where I live, the surface of the lanes can sometimes be uneven so I try to ride in which ever side of my lane is the most even with the fewest ruts or grooves in the pavement.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Bruce 140.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stick_FSMC
I have been lane splitting for decades.

It seems easier to me to let them pass on my right. I move to the left so I have not surrendered my lane, but I will take my right hand off the throttle and use it to wave them forward. That way, I have acknowledged their presence and there is no question that I am going to stay out of their way as they pass. It is just common courtesy.
Agree... and great suggestion for the wave. I thought the same thing as far as being easier, for me and the other rider passing, to move to the left part of the lane but just seemed odd to "pass on the right"... but makes sense being able to split lanes here in CA.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:12 PM
RedRanger7
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Your lane position is to keep stupid drivers from butting into your lane. If you were in the left lane on the left side, a car might not see you right away and move into your lane, always keep to the side that cars may be passing you on most frequently.
Dave 04 XL1200C

The following 2 users liked this post by RedRanger7:
Bruce 140.6 (05-05-2017), Deuuuce (05-08-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Bruce 140.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
The left lane is for passing. You're supposed to stay in the right lane(s) unless passing!

Understood, and i guess to clarify when passing in the passing lane do you ride in the left or right portion of the lane?

With moving traffic I am constantly passing cars in the fast/passing, but still have other bikes come up from behind going faster so I stay in the passing lane but move to the left portion of the lane so they have room to pass then move back to the right portion of the lane so I can split when traffic backs up.

Then for the HOV lane or with open road should slower rides stay to the left portion of the lane so other faster riders can pass on the right?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:22 PM
silverback17
Novice

If we talking about the 3 lanes inside the lane...I switch back and forth routinely, mainly to stay visible to the drivers of cars... But also to avoid the bumps the county/state haven't smoothed out yet...

Old 05-05-2017, 01:48 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,412 Posts

On two-lane roads, I ride in the left portion or center of my lane (depending on road condition, groove wear) and move over to the right when oncoming traffic is approaching, then back to the left after they pass.

On roads larger than two lanes, I ride in the center of the right lane. To pass, I move to the right portion of the lane to the left, and as I am next to the vehicle I move further left in the lane. My thought behind this is being visible in the vehicle's mirror as long as possible, and getting the hell away from the vehicle when I am no longer in the vehicle's mirror.

Coming to an intersection on any size road, I make sure I am in the center or left portion of the lane for visibility. Riding along the curb coming to an intersection is not a bright idea - I've seen people turn left into oncoming motorcycles that were riding along the curb.

I never ride next to another bike: always staggered.

Some states have laws that you cannot overtake another vehicle from the right, so be knowledgeable of your laws. The right is for slow vehicles - I move to the right, so people can pass on the left.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,264 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Always split between the 1 and 2 lanes.
I ride in the #1 lane in the left wheel position in open traffic.
When traffic slows, move the right wheel position in the #1 lane to prepare for splitting.
Unless faster traffic is behind me, I ride in the #1 lane, I like the left shoulder for an escape.
If faster car is behind me, I move to the right to allow it to pass and then move back to the #1.
Never ride in the oil stripe in the middle of the lane.
#1 lane is the safest lane for motorcycles. The further you are from on and off ramps, the better.

Last edited by upflying; 05-05-2017 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bruce 140.6 (05-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Lane Position: Splitting/Passing/Fast Lane