General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the experienced

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 AM
ftgokie
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for the experienced

Hello everyone as you can tell I am new here. Me and my wife have talked and we are going to get either a nice used Road King or maybe a Heritage around July. Also, my 16yr old son who is 5'11" and 175lbs, we are going to buy him a Harley as well. He has rode motorcycles since he was 12, raced go karts and has done some drag racing in a friends truck and also rode my friends Dyna. Me and my wife will want to go cruising and we will want our son to tag along. I was looking at an 883 this past weekend but a friend of mine said to not even consider an 883 to look at something bigger. With me being a total newb and not really knowing what in the hell to be looking for, what would you all suggest for me to be looking at? I want him to be comfortable and be able to enjoy it, but I don't want him having something that is too much, if that makes sense.... So, point me in the right direction so I can be looking at something and not wasting my time! Thanks all!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,244 Likes on 11,126 Posts

I wouldn't give your 16 yr old son a Harley.
If he wants a bike, have him get a job, save and buy his own.
As a first bike, steer him to a used Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha..like a SV650 or a Dual Sport. No more than a 650.
Insurance will be crazy expensive for a 16 yr old.
At 16, I was riding a Yamaha 100.

Last edited by upflying; 05-08-2017 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
baka1969 (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

To point your son in the right direction to buy any vehicle:

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/

Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 AM
ftgokie
Novice

Originally Posted by upflying
I wouldn't give your 16 yr old son a Harley.
If he wants a bike, have him get a job, save and buy his own.
As a first bike, steer him to a used Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha..like a SV650 or a Dual Sport. No more than a 650.
Insurance will be crazy expensive for a 16 yr old.

He has a job and has $5300 saved up as of Friday. We are doing this to get him some credit established. Just not sure which way to go on a motorcycle. Thanks for your advice though on the other bikes..Im looking at some of those as well!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,244 Likes on 11,126 Posts

Originally Posted by ftgokie
He has a job and has $5300 saved up as of Friday. We are doing this to get him some credit established. Just not sure which way to go on a motorcycle. Thanks for your advice though on the other bikes..Im looking at some of those as well!
Minors can't have credit established.
$5300 is perfect for a full cash purchase on a used Jap bike.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

With $5300 saved up he could buy a nice older Dyna or 1200 Sportster outright.

J_MOSH (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

To hell with that Jap crap. Get the boy a Harley! I would look for a nice used low rider.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Spider0408
Banned
Received 252 Likes on 131 Posts

My personal opinion is this. I don't think a 16 year old should be on any street motorcycle. Never mind that he raced go-karts, drag raced, etc. That kind of skill/experience counts for absolutely nothing when it comes to what it takes to safely ride a motorcycle on today's roadways. Teenagers just lack the judgement required. They're more likely to take chances. They're less likely to consider the consequences. That's just a fact. Though they only represent 1% of street motorcycle riders. They're three times more likely to suffer a collision than older riders.

But you'll do what you want. So one further opinion. Do not let him ride until he successfully completes a motorcycle training class and passes his license exam.
As far as the 883? It's a nice cruising bike to start off with.

13dino (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 AM
ftgokie
Novice

Originally Posted by upflying
Minors can't have credit established.
$5300 is perfect for a full cash purchase on a used Jap bike.

Ok, im not asking about credit. But, he has the money saved up and its in his checking account.. My banker will loan the money on a motorcycle and I co sign so he can start building his credit...but im not worried about any of that. My question was about what type of bike we should be looking at.

The following 2 users liked this post by ftgokie:
Br125 (05-09-2017), Lotaluck (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:52 AM
ftgokie
Novice

Originally Posted by Spider0408
My personal opinion is this. I don't think a 16 year old should be on any street motorcycle. Never mind that he raced go-karts, drag raced, etc. That kind of skill/experience counts for absolutely nothing when it comes to what it takes to safely ride a motorcycle on today's roadways. Teenagers just lack the judgement required. They're more likely to take chances. They're less likely to consider the consequences. That's just a fact. Though they only represent 1% of street motorcycle riders. They're three times more likely to suffer a collision than older riders.

But you'll do what you want. So one further opinion. Do not let him ride until he successfully completes a motorcycle training class and passes his license exam.
As far as the 883? It's a nice cruising bike to start off with.

I appreciate your response and all your comments are duly noted! he will definitely be doing motorcycle training classes and pass the exam before he rides on the street!

Quick Reply: Question for the experienced