General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This PSA brought to you by gravel eatin' BikerPepe`

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts
Default This PSA brought to you by gravel eatin' BikerPepe`

I shared this message on another forum I've been a part of for decades and thought I'd share it here as well. I realize the vast majority of us already know this... but for yourself and your fellow riders, a seasonal reminder is a good idea.

I live in an area with a fairly decent motorcycle population. we've got all kinds and Spokane has been host to a NOMAD Chapter of the HA and a few other big clubs for many years now. generally speaking... if you don't ride, you likely know someone who does.

So this is my plea... for the love of god, allah, buddah and the flyin' spaghetti monster, please... if you don't ride, take this to heart. if you do, remind your friends, family and loved ones.

When you see a motorcycle come flying up behind you... PLEASE, DO NOT MOVE ONTO THE SHOULDER TO "MAKE ROOM" for us.
I/we appreciate the thought but TRUST ME, we see you. We expect you to stick to your line and don't get stupid because we're behind you.
Unless you're in Cali... there will be no "lane splitting" on an old highway. I don't need you to "make room" and when I pass you, I won't need anything from you other than to stay your course and don't speed up while I'm beside you.

When you move over to the left and your tires hit the rocks, dirt, dust and gravel laying all over the side of the road, you're not helping us. In point of fact, you are most likely hurting us! 3 times today alone... I had very "nice" people slide over to the side in an apparent effort to "help me" and instead, the blast me with gravel and FORCE me to back way off or pass immediately, regardless of the oncoming traffic or other conditions.

People that don't ride, generally have no idea they are doing this to us and likely are just trying to be as helpful as possible... but please, DON'T DO IT!

Thank you all and have a nice day.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:05 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

And there you have it.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:55 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

I had a semi do that the other day. Pelted me with rocks and sand.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:03 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Also people that mow their lawn into the road and leave clumps of grass in the road for us to slide on, stop that too. Please.

The following 2 users liked this post by wideglideCVO:
bambambam (05-11-2017), nollid51 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

People here in Texas that are out in the country will move over to the shoulder if you come up behind them and let you pass. Took me awhile to get used to it here.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:17 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts
Old 05-11-2017, 12:19 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure all the motorists and truck drivers that do that are on this website checking it out. Preaching to the choir if I must say.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:12 PM
101ABN_17FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wyndnface

That there is one purdy bike!!

Old 05-11-2017, 01:43 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
I'm sure all the motorists and truck drivers that do that are on this website checking it out. Preaching to the choir if I must say.
true enough as noted in the op, but we can all remind our friends, families and loved ones in their cages. my ol' lady never had a clue, until we got showered with rocks from the "thoughtful" driver in front of us.

In the north... where gravel is spread on the roads throughout the harsh winters, this time of year it's a serious concern.

Sometimes, even the choir needs to be reminded to spread the word.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:02 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by BikerPepe`
When you move over to the left and your tires hit the rocks, dirt, dust and gravel laying all over the side of the road, you're not helping us. In point of fact, you are most likely hurting us! 3 times today alone... I had very "nice" people slide over to the side in an apparent effort to "help me" and instead, the blast me with gravel and FORCE me to back way off or pass immediately, regardless of the oncoming traffic or other conditions.
Is this Spokane England?

If the car in front of you moves to the left and kicks up rocks and gravel, he is driving on the wrong side of the road, as are you if you are directly behind him. At least in the USA.

Quick Reply: This PSA brought to you by gravel eatin' BikerPepe`