General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly how all the timing marks were lined up. As for having the push rods out, I have not. I did a compression test and had 150 up front and 140 rear. Should be enough for it to run.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,817 Likes on 1,761 Posts

yep, hmmm

Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

You originally described the motor as "all stock". What all have you done to it?

Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Why use a straw to check TDC? Just look thru the timing plug hole for TDC mark on the flywheel. It's exact.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 0maha
You originally described the motor as "all stock". What all have you done to it?
the only thing that's been done to it is an s&s carb and the ultima 53-644 programmable ignition system. Everything else is bone stock.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rigidbuild
the only thing that's been done to it is an s&s carb and the ultima 53-644 programmable ignition system. Everything else is bone stock.
Why did you open the cam chest?

Old 05-16-2017, 10:49 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

Bought the engine used so you never know what someone could have done before the sold it. Told me it was a running engine. Picked it up for $500. Sounded like a good deal considering this is what I started out with.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:58 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't know what to tell you, then. $500 is a crazy low price for a good Evo motor.

I assume the timing cover had been drilled out/replaced before you got it?

No telling what you've got going on here. At least the compression is good, so it should run.

I go back to my a-b-c questions from a few posts ago. In your shoes, with a good compression test, I'd assume for now that the motor is internally sound.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:24 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

Yes, timing cover was drilled prior to me owning it. I'm going to fool around with it an it more tonight and see if I can figure anything else out.

Ok after messing with it for about 2 hours tonight I'm still having the same issue. I have the rocker covers off and I watch the front cylinder intake valve open then close then tdc is right there. When I set the ignition itself, turning it clockwise til the light turns off I would not be able to get the bolts in to snug it up. It's rotated past that point. Tried firing it and it still blows the fuel out of the air cleaner. I even tried rotating the ignition module upside down and rotating it until the light turns off and I can hear it sparking on the #2 cylinder through the exhaust pipe. So I turned it back around went through the process a 10th time and still same issue. I'm at a loss right now. Don't know what else to try. This would have to be the first time I haven't been able to something like this out. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I pulled the cam cover one more time. Noticed that with it at 12 o'clock on the pinion the cam mark was also at 12 o'clock. Rotated the engine a full 360 then everything lined up. Is it possible the cam is out of time??

That would be the only thing I have left to try. What's the easiest way to pull the cam out far enough to spin it 180 degrees??

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-17-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:33 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rigidbuild
I pulled the cam cover one more time. Noticed that with it at 12 o'clock on the pinion the cam mark was also at 12 o'clock. Rotated the engine a full 360 then everything lined up. Is it possible the cam is out of time??
That's how it works. The pinion gear rotates 2x for every rotation of the cam gear. When the pinion gear mark is at 12 o'clock, the cam gear mark will be at 6 o'clock. The next time the pinion gear mark is at 12 o'clock (after 360 degrees of crank rotation) the cam gear mark will also be at 12 o'clock.

Yes, it's possible that the cam is out of time. That will happen if the cam gear is not oriented correctly to the cam when it's pressed on. That said, since you have a good compression test, I don't think that's the problem.

You should be able to install the ignition module (loose fit in the screws), set the motor to TDC, then adjust the module until the LED goes out. The fact that you can't suggests one of two things: Either you are not correctly finding front cylinder TDC compression stroke, or the timing cup behind the module is loose or mis-installed.

Describe your procedure for finding TDC on the front cylinder. My hunch is that what you think is the compression stroke is actually the exhaust stroke.

Quick Reply: Someone PLEASE help