General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone PLEASE help

Just about to complete my first build. Problem I'm having is with getting the engine running. I have a 1990 evo big twin. All stock. Installed a ultima 53-644 programmable ignition. Problem is I can't get the bike to run. Always wants to blow the fuel out of the carb like the timing is way off. I've triple checked everything and am not getting anywhere. I've set tdc a hundred times with rocker cover off and watching the valves. I've tried leaving the ignition loose and turning it by hand while cranking, all I seem to get is either gas blowing out of carb or backfire out of rear exhaust pipe. I'm at a loss right now, tried following all instructions with the manual. I've checked to make sure cam and crank settings are lined up and they are. Don't know what else to try???? Maybe bad ignition??? Please help and try not to be to hard on me, this is my first bike build using Harley parts so it's been a learning curve to say the least. Thanks

Old 05-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Is the ignition plate sitting completely horizontal with room to adjust timing on each side? Don't worry you will get this! And welcome.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

Also not running voes, that feature is off on the module and the wire is not grounded. I've checked voltage to the coil while cranking shows 10.5-11 volts. Light on the module blinks showing it doing something and it does have good spark.

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Is the ignition plate sitting completely horizontal with room to adjust timing on each side? Don't worry you will get this! And welcome.

Not it sure what you mean??

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-16-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Is the plate movable so you can both advance or regard timing of needed. Its not completely to one side in the mounting slots.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Is the plate movable so you can both advance or regard timing of needed. Its not completely to one side in the mounting slots.
yes it is moveable, I tried rotating it while cranking the engine and still no luck.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:49 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

You might check again the TDC point. Sounds like it could very well be off.
Sometimes you might get confused as to when it is at TDC. Just thinking out loud.

That or is it possible you have the ignition wires reversed? You state you installed the new ignition system, double check the wiring. Even though it's a single fire ignition, might have the wires reversed.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:53 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Make sure your getting enough voltage to the coil and module, check voltage on the white wire at the coil while cranking, or just run a jumper from the battery + to the post with the white wire.

tighten down the ignition module, it may have to ground through the plate

Old 05-16-2017, 03:58 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

I've tried reversing the plug wires, I've checked the wiring, and checked voltage at the white wire during cranking and it shows 10.5-11 while engine is being cranked. I've checked tdc 100 times. As of now the rocker covers are off so I could check for compression stroke. I'm wondering if it's a bad ignition but the dealer tells me they sell 5 a week and never had a bad one come back.

It has good spark just not at the right time. I've tried doing single fire I've tried dual fire, I've tried with the voes wire grounded, I've tried different advance setting on the ignition itself. You'd think that by rotating the module while cranking eventually it would find a happy stop and fire over. Can't be rocket appliances. Only two cylinders here. Just don't know what else to try. I'm going to try again tonight when I get him retime at tdc and see what happens.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-16-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

If fuel is blowing out the carb you have a timing issue. Ya I know you checked it.The intake valve is open during a compression stroke.
Have someone else eye ball it. There is something you are missing.

I put a straw in the plug hole, bring the piston TDC, valves CLOSED, all marks should be aligned. I am willing to be you are a tooth off somewhere.

Good luck, keep us informed on what you find, any info a passed will help the next guy.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Rigidbuild
Intermediate

I didn't think all the marks had to be aligned at top dead center??? I thought you lined up the marks then moved onto the timing???

Quick Reply: Someone PLEASE help