General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two up riding, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:35 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've never adjusted my shocks. They're still set at the factory setting and have never had any problems.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:37 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,789 Likes on 3,576 Posts

What to expect?

"You're going too fast!"

The following users liked this post:
vaham (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckKnuckle
Two things:

1. The bike will handle differently with more weight on it. Be careful in turns, especially slow ones.

2. Make sure your wife knows this: DO ***NOT*** try to "compensate" in turns!!!! Make sure
she knows to never shift her weight, but let you and the bike do the work. If she keeps
trying to compensate, things get very unpredictable.
This. Just tell her to point her nose where the bike needs to go in turns. Also don't overthink the weight issue.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

My wife and I are about the same combined weight as you will be. No issues riding 2 up on the '08 Deluxe I had before. But we were basically at max allowable payload per the manual. Tried it with suspension at about half of max preload (stock shocks) and bottomed out a few times on some of the harder bumps. Adjusted up to max preload, and it was a noticeable improvement in ride quality.

I'll echo what these other guys have said as far as mounting and dismounting. Wife checks with me that I'm ready, I verbally confirm, then she climbs aboard. Then I check with her that she's settled and ready, she verbally confirms, before I start rolling.

Have a conversation with her, before the ride, about sitting still when at slow speeds - my wife was really good about this early, then started getting more comfortable, forgot once and leaned way over my shoulder as I pulled up to a stop sign. Closest I've ever come to dropping the bike when 2 up. Scared both of us - she's very conscious of it now.

Last edited by dandrumheller; 05-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:53 PM
TBT3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your owner's manual for the shock setting. You'll want it on the tallest setting for when you want it ride 2-up. For my Dyna I have it on 3 when riding solo and then adjust it to 5 when riding 2-up. It's quick and easy to adjust the shocks with the spanner wrench, and there is a noticeable difference in position and the way it handles on the different settings.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I always get on first and start the bike. Keep it in neutral with the kick stand down. Front brake engaged, both feet on the ground balancing it. I nod my head to tell her I am ready and have her get on the left side so if my footing slips the kick stand should save us. No slippage yet. I wait for the moving to stop and ask her if she is ready. Once under way I just reminder her to sit back, relax, and settle into the tour pack cushion. Thats what it there for. I then remind her to keep moving to a minimum, especially at slow speed and to look over the shoulder we are turning into. This is only her second year riding and she is learning, but doing great. When my daughter gets on she settles right in and I have to check every now and again to ensure she hasn't fallen off. She weighs a whoppping 110 lbs in gear. She is so busy singing along to her music and having a good time while we are out.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:09 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I've done it on my Sportster. I have decades of experience with many different passengers of all shapes and sizes. Your bike will be fine. Just use caution.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:38 AM
grouchy
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What, others have said, settle on same routine for her getting on and off. Practice in a parking lot, you will be fine, have fun.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:27 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Took us a few rides to get down what worked for us. Avoid anything more than lot practice and low traffic situations around town until comfortable. For us, me standing while mount and dismount occurs kept everything in order

Old 05-20-2017, 07:00 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

It is all about individual preferences. As for suspension, my suggestion is
start with the firmest setting. Smooth roads, potholes, one size does not fit all.

It is too much hassle (for me) to adjust suspension a lot, I ride with firm setting
solo or two up. A bit firm when solo but suits me just fine.

Quick Reply: Two up riding, what to expect?