General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two up riding, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Two up riding, what to expect?

I got my 07 Heritage mid season last year, after not owning a bike for over 30 yrs. Took MSF course shortly after purchase. Love the Heritage BTW. Beginning new season already have approx. 2K Mi. riding, longest ride so far was about 3 hrs. one way and return later same day. My wife has expressed interest in riding with me. My concern is how will I handle the extra weight? I'm afraid to ask her how much she weighs. She is 5' 8" and best guess is 175-200 lbs. I'm sure her DL weight is not current. I am 6' and 250 lbs. I usually carry 20-30 lbs. of gear in bags. I have read that I need to adjust my shocks and have bought the spanner wrench and looked up adjustments for expected weight. I expect total weight to be close to 450 lbs. and if add more gear for longer trips , could be closer to 500 lbs.
How important is it to get accurate weight for adjustments?
What can I expect for ride and handling?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

You'll be fine. A couple of years ago I got a 2014 Heritage after not riding for about 33 years. I re-took the MSF course and put about 500 miles on it before going 2 up on it. I weigh about 218 and the wife was around 180 at the time, not a problem at all.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Just remember that any added weight to a bike, whether it is a passenger, gear, etc., you'll have to increase your stopping distance. I know that's pretty obvious and I apologize.

Also, another thing to remember.... when your passenger gets on make sure your feet are firmly planted. My Mrs. and I have a signal before she gets on. She puts a hand on my shoulder and waits a second until I have my feet firmly planted. After she gets on, I wait until she has adjusted herself and is sitting still before I even move.

The following users liked this post:
alexknight2000 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Norky
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the wife follow me to a parking lot, in the car where we practiced 2-up a few times before hitting the road. It helped a lot, especially with turning from a stop and coming to a stop. Stopping and planting your feet is definitely different with a passenger.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 PM
BuckKnuckle
Road Master
Received 1,003 Likes on 397 Posts

Two things:

1. The bike will handle differently with more weight on it. Be careful in turns, especially slow ones.

2. Make sure your wife knows this: DO ***NOT*** try to "compensate" in turns!!!! Make sure
she knows to never shift her weight, but let you and the bike do the work. If she keeps
trying to compensate, things get very unpredictable.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Good advice above. Getting on and off is serious business and both of you need to know when it's going to happen. My wife asks "Ready" both ways and I reply "Ready". Usually she gives me a quick kiss and then grabs my arm to climb on. It wont take long for you to get it down.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:52 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks all for very helpful advice.
Still curious about the shock adjustment?

Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 845 Posts

Best to just go ahead and estimate big than to ask.

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:09 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Bit heavy for a Heritage but you should be fine. Your owners manual will give you good setting for the shocks go with that adjust as you see fit. Take your time. figure out what works best of the two of you.
She gets on first then you get on, or you get on she gets on . No right way other than what works easiest for you. Ride short rides stop in places you know you have flat firm footing . Talk with each other on stops so no one does anything until both are ready.
In no time you both will have it wired.
Wife been riding with me for 41 great years and we have taken many long trips, mixed in with a countless weekend one.
Good luck enjoy the ride.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Stick_FSMC
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

All the above is good advice.

I've been riding for 40+ years. With my current wife for over 25 of those years.

She always checks before getting on the bike. I let her know when I'm ready. I always check with her before I take off when she just got on. I also let her know when I'm ready before she tries to get off the bike.

Normal stop and go, she keeps her feet up, I put both of mine down. She just relaxes in and enjoys the ride.

Combined weight for my wife and I is around the same as you, approximately 450 lbs. I ride a Road Glide Ultra, so I 'may' have a suspension advantage, I don't know. We will load up the bags and trunk and have been know to strap even more gear on the trunk rack for trips. No problem.

As has been stated above, allow a little extra stopping distance and watch the cornering. Extra weigh makes the bike handle a little different because it changes the center of gravity.

I like the suggestion of going out to a parking lot and practicing. Good idea.

Quick Reply: Two up riding, what to expect?