General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got used to riding the Softail...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:28 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Every bike I have had is the one I should have kept. Just think about it for awhile.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:30 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Traded an 08 FXSTC for an 09 EGlide. The Electra Glide felt real "cramped"
when I first got it from the dealer it had that huge stock seat on it. Everything changed when I put a Street Glide seat on it. Now I'm further back and feel way better especially with road pegs on the engine guard.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Highway pegs placed low on the safety bars will help. Allows you about 6 foot positions. Rear, middle and front of the floorboards, plus you can put your heel on the front of the floorboards and the ball of your foot on the highway peg. Or latch on to them with the arch of your foot. Or really stretch out by hanging your feet over the top of the highway pegs by resting the back of your legs on them.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:48 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

I wanted a soft tail because I hate the big, ugly shocks showing. It looks like a rigid frame, which I had in the old days.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 AM
pomeara
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Softail

Originally Posted by Road Star
I have been riding the Softail for the past two to three weeks, since I have had the Road King disassembled. That Fatboy is quite different than the Road King, stretches you out a bit, your feet/legs and arms. I got back on the Road King yesterday for a spin around the block and wow, I felt cramped! It's like I was more upright, my feet were not as far forward.
It's funny, it just felt really strange at first. I dunno, I think I need to go for a couple of test rides to see how some of the other bikes feel. Been thinking about a Road Glide, 2015 or newer; wonder how that will be.
I completely agree with you. I just got a 2017 Street Glide and love it but my legs do feel cramped. I kept the 2000 Fat Boy and still enjoy riding it very much. Highway pegs are a must on the SG

Old 06-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I've owned three different baggers. Two ElectraGlides and a Road King, and I felt cramped on all of them. I didn't realize how comfortable a bike could be until I got a Superglide with forward controls! Most comfortable bike I've ever owned! Much better than any "tourer" I've had. Everybody has different shaped bodies, but a Dyna with forward controls just fits me perfectly.
Same/similar here. Bought a '99 FLTR new & loved it, but I was coming from a hotrodded Sportster. Fast forward several years & I'm amazed at how comfortable & roomy my new-to-me '02 FXD with the FLD footboards is, but I just chalk it up to not giving the Dyna a fair shake previously.

So late last year, I demo'd a '17 FLHX. Neat bike & surprisingly quick stock, but was shocked at how cramped the riding position was. Nice bike, but I couldn't wait to get back on my Super Glide.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:30 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

The tour bikes have a more upright position with the floorboards under your body for a reason, it's more comfortable on the knees and back for the long rides. That said I changed the seat(moved me to rear), added 18" apes, and adjustable pegs on the crashbar on my road King and I have plenty of room to stretch out and I'm 6'2".

Old 06-04-2017, 08:13 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 180 Posts

I had a 2005 FXD. Set it up with forward controls, Corbin seat, mustache bar, windshield and a set of Boss Bags. I loved that bike. I traded it (with 45,000 miles) for a 2009 Street Glide. The SG was nice but I definitely preferred the Dyna. Then in March 2016 I bought a 2009 RKC. While I like the RKC better than the SG I still miss my Dyna.

The RKC is a very nice bike but I miss the stretched out position of the FXD with forward controls and I wonder what a Dyna with 96CI motor and six speed transmission would be like.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:14 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
I have been riding the Softail for the past two to three weeks, since I have had the Road King disassembled. That Fatboy is quite different than the Road King, stretches you out a bit, your feet/legs and arms. I got back on the Road King yesterday for a spin around the block and wow, I felt cramped! It's like I was more upright, my feet were not as far forward.
It's funny, it just felt really strange at first. I dunno, I think I need to go for a couple of test rides to see how some of the other bikes feel. Been thinking about a Road Glide, 2015 or newer; wonder how that will be.
I know what you mean. At 6'2" I felt cramped on everything in the showroom except the Softail Slim, Breakout and the Wide Glide. Since the Slim had floorboards and seemed to have stronger braking, that is the way I went. The 110 engine didn't hurt either. At this stage I don't want any windshields,fairings. or hard bags, so the Touring bikes were out. Typically the right seat will bring you back much further. On a stock Road Glide I feel extremely cramped, but I sat on a used one that had a Danny Grey butt crack seat on it and it was a huge difference.