General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memorial Day ride. STL to Pike's Peak

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Memorial Day ride. STL to Pike's Peak

Decided to take a trip over a long Memorial Day weekend. Loaded up the Wide Glide and took off from St. Louis to Colorado Springs. Spent three days based out of the Colorado Springs, tried to go to the summit of Pike's Peak on Saturday, but it was only open to the 15 mile point of 19. Went ahead and went up to that 15 mile spot then took off in a random direction after. Sunday, tried to go to the summit of Mt. Evans, but it also wasn't open, but had a nice ride getting close anyway. On Memorial Day, I was leaving Colorado Springs and heading north to Estes Park, but saw that Pike's Peak was open to the summit, so went ahead and went to the top before moving on. Didn't want to ride back to STL on I70 through Kansas, so I went up into Wyoming and Nebraska (where I'm currently at) and will hit Iowa and ride down the Great River Road back to STL. Though so far I got to say I80 eastern WY and western Nebraska is about the same as I70 Kansas as far scenery goes.

Before I even started this trip, I was thinking of a touring bike, either a SGS or RGS as I want to take more long trips. At times after long hours in the saddle on the interstate on my Wide Glide, that thought popped into my head again. However, once I was riding around the mountains I realized I still really dig my Wide Glide, so if I do get a touring bike, it will not be a replacement but an addition.

I've taken several vids with my GoPro, but have only been able to upload a couple so far due to hotel internet.

Anyway here is the "up" vid to the 15 mile point of Pike's Peak, and the "down" video from the summit.

The following users liked this post:
Wraith04 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,387 Likes on 1,281 Posts

The snow looked cool.....bet it felt colder.. lol. Sounds like a nice long weekend.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:17 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeffro09
The snow looked cool.....bet it felt colder.. lol. Sounds like a nice long weekend.
I think it was in the low 30s temp wise at the top and mid 60s at the bottom. I say weekend, but it is really a week long trip. I left last Thursday, and should get home tomorrow.

Today was a long day of slab, about 550 to 600 miles. About 60 miles west of Lincoln, Nebraska, I took a random empty exit to get off the bike and walk around to stretch the legs. Of course as I get off, I look down and my shifter is basically laying on my floor board. It had come off the splines at the tranny. Luckily I had a couple tools to put it back on, but my allen wrench was just barely long enough to fit, so I lucked out. Here I was thinking, I brought too much crap (and I did) but I was so glad I had those tools.

Attached Thumbnails Memorial Day ride.  STL to Pike's Peak-linkage.jpg  

Last edited by Dan28; 05-31-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:30 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,024 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Great Vids ! will be taking this in July. Never ridden a Wide Glide, a buddy has the 2003 (I think) 100 Anniversary bike. But that's says something taking that long trip on one.
Your shifter reminded me of a Hot Springs, AR trip. Same thing happened in the Twisty's, went to downshift and got nothing but air ! Pulled to the side and walked back a block or two, found the peg and bolt laying in the middle of the road. Loctite and was on my way.. Was thinking it would Suck to not have a shifter for the next 100 miles or so..

Old 06-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Originally Posted by CrBear
Great Vids ! will be taking this in July. Never ridden a Wide Glide, a buddy has the 2003 (I think) 100 Anniversary bike. But that's says something taking that long trip on one.
Your shifter reminded me of a Hot Springs, AR trip. Same thing happened in the Twisty's, went to downshift and got nothing but air ! Pulled to the side and walked back a block or two, found the peg and bolt laying in the middle of the road. Loctite and was on my way.. Was thinking it would Suck to not have a shifter for the next 100 miles or so..
Just got home, 2550 miles in total from the time I left till I got back. I did a 2000 mile trip to the Tail of the Dragon then New Orleans a few years ago on the Wide Glide and it still has the stock seat. I do use an Air Hawk bladder for the long trips. I have a Sena 20s for my helmet so I can get tunes on the interstates and GPS through my phone. I've ridden other bikes on shorter runs, but only ever done more than 500 mile trips on a Wide Glide, (did 450 on a Sportster) so I don't have a big frame of reference.

Regarding my linkage, at least I didn't lose any parts.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:10 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,409 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Awesome trip, thanks for taking us along!