General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Safe Riding Tips for Long Bike Trips

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Roundthebend
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Safe Riding Tips for Long Bike Trips

Hello everyone. I do some copywriting and want to do a piece on safe riding tips that you would actually use during a long ride. I want to get some expert advice from riders here for relatively new riders and help them avoid a potential issue. Of course, if I use anything mentioned that you choose to share, I am happy to attribute to you anyway you choose.

I am looking for real advice from some die-hard riders. Can you help a girl out? I also wouldn't mind having someone on board to fact-check me.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Old 06-09-2017, 03:37 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

best advice I can give is to ride your own ride.

Dont let others dictate your speed, or allow them to pick a route that compromises your confidence level. always better to arrive at the end of the pack, than to not arrive at all.

this applies whether riding solo, or in a group. Other drivers can easily crowd you and traffic conditions can cause you to do dumb things. Riding in a group, even moreso, as the leader of the pack will tend to run at the skill level they posess, not always what the other riders are capable of.

The following users liked this post:
Roundthebend (06-12-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

As was said above, ride your own ride. I've seen people get in trouble trying to follows more skilled leader.

Watch for fatigue. Taking frequent short breaks rather than one or two long breaks helps me stay rested, hydrated and "comfortable". By "short" I mean 10-15 minutes tops. Longer, and it's harder to get going again. Fatigue will make you do stupid things. Stupid is painful.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

That is one huge request. You can find anything and everything already posted on many threads but: keep your bike serviced, carry a cell phone, get AAA/CAA, get health travel insurance if necessary, protect your ears and your head, carry a quart of oil for yourself or someone else, cover your bike when you park it, don't leave anything valuable on the bike, keep it in view or in well travelled well lit areas, pack light! I repeat, pack light! (you can always hit a Walmart or a shop if you need anything), when possible book motels on-line at least 2 days before arrival (save$$), enjoy the back highways, avoid major cities, go around bad weather or stop until it passes, be kind to dealers if you know you'll need service (tires, etc) and let them know you'll be there in a day or 2 and don't expect a dealer to be able to take you on a weekend. If heading into the boonies, don't leave yourself with less than a third of a tank if you can avoid it. If heading into hot weather, leave at dawn and take advantage of the cool morning. Never drive past a biker broken down ... next time it could be you. Don't be afraid to travel alone if that is all that is holding you back, and, you'll meet many more people when alone ... no intimidation. Damn, I could go on and on. As I said there is an unlimited source of infirmation on this forum. Read on.

The following 4 users liked this post by Spy11:
indiandave (06-10-2017), itznin (06-17-2017), Roundthebend (06-12-2017), shorelasHD (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 03:57 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,232 Likes on 11,123 Posts

Long rides breeds fatigue. Stop, rest, hydrate and stretch.
Don't let mind wander and daydream, stay focused.
Monotony breeds complacency, expect, plan and prepare for anything unexpected.
Inspect load security, lights and tires at every stop.
Look at the horizon, peripheral vision will watch the road in front of you.
If hot, start travel at dawn and quit early afternoon.
Don't ride faster than you can safely stop for unexpected hazards.
Know your deer habitat and when they are most likely to be seen.
Eat granola bars on the road.
Two lane roads are more dangerous than interstate super slabs.

Last edited by upflying; 06-09-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:13 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Ride like everyone and everything on or near the road is out to kill you. Do it with awareness, not fear. Try to see/imagine potential hazards before they appear. If one deer crosses the road, very often there's another or more right behind it. Ride safe and have a ball!

Old 06-09-2017, 04:33 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Complete stop, no rolling thru the stop sign. It will bite you in the butt sooner or later

Old 06-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Good point!! And don't forget to check your mirrors and watch behind you when you slow and/or stop. I'm sure 60% of all bike accidents are rear enders.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Have patience. Esp on 2 lane roads. Be sure of where you are going to pass someone. Are they going to turn, watch for roads on the left side where they may turn, running into you as try and pass. 5-6 MPH over the speed limit works for me. If you know your route where your going look online for speed camera. I pass them going to Sturgis every year.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:05 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Long ride, short ride, same rules apply. Keep your SA (situational awareness) at condition 1. Make sure you precheck before each ride. Stay hydrated, and rest before you are tired. Realize that you will be swimming in unfamiliar waters. You never know what is right around the corner...ride like it.

Quick Reply: Best Safe Riding Tips for Long Bike Trips