General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight better in day time?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:49 PM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default LED headlight better in day time?????

I know how good they are at night, I have JW speaker in my Jeep. But what about for day time riding are they brighter in the day time also.
I only ask because my snowmobile has LED headlight and can barely see it in the day time but that could be because of how the reflectors work on a snowmobile.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

When I get behind someone running my Vision X Vortex and SoCalMotoGear Pathfinder passing lamps they wave me by or adjust their mirrors.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:22 PM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
When I get behind someone running my Vision X Vortex and SoCalMotoGear Pathfinder passing lamps they wave me by or adjust their mirrors.
During the DAY or at night.

Can you be seen better during the day with LED headlight?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:23 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I have my Day Maker on high during the day but rarely does anyone let me know I have my high beam on. But the other day, when I passed a pickup, I looked in my mirror and he had his high beam on. I looked back at him a couple of minutes later, they were off. I can only guess he was letting me know my light was on high.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgee10
During the DAY or at night.

Can you be seen better during the day with LED headlight?

I've walked back from the bike looking at my LED during the day; on high beam, that stupid thing will blind you, so I run it on high beam during the day

Combine the LED on high with the SMIDSY manoeuvre when a vehicle may violate your right of way, and you will be seen better than the stock headlight...

Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Led's are more point light and the closer they are to sunlight and higher on the Kelvin scale the less visible they are in daylight.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing. I just installed Super Spots in my RGU. Those jokers light up the night sky but in the daytime I'm still not sure. It's only been a week. The cagers do seem to be looking at me as I approach intersections more than they did before so maybe they can see me better. I have noticed that even in the daytime they light up the reflective paint on the street signs and they look mighty bright when they reflect off the car in front of me.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:44 PM
baptizo
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Daymaker will blind you on high beam during the daylight hours and I've always used the high beam during the day ever since learning to ride back in '87. I don't care one bit what cagers think if they can see me I can live to ride another day.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 646 Likes on 337 Posts

The optics are designed to throw light in a forward controlled pattern. The reflector style LEDs are very visible in the daytime from most angles. The projector style, not so much. I have seen a lot of bikes on the road with daymaker projector style and think, that guys headlight isn't on, till they get to an angle more directly in line with my field of vision. Just my observation. I put a knock off 5 3/4 projector style on my Softail. Yes it's blinding if you're directly in front of it, but take a few steps to the side and it's far less noticeable.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Ditto what Buelligan said- I've been hesitant because I've seen some from about a 45 degree angle that appear to be completely off, then when looking more directly at them they are actually on and bright. I am going to look into this projection vs reflective style- does anyone know how to tell the difference?

Quick Reply: LED headlight better in day time?????