General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hello Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:15 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts
Default hello Arizona

i am riding to San Diego this week . i notice the route from google turns south at Holbrok from hwy 40 to 377 i think, towards Phoenix is that the quickest way thru ? Best way thru?
Mazz

Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,406 Likes on 2,960 Posts

Be sure to hydrate as it's going to be hot. The heat breaks when you're 10 miles from the water. Gets cooler, the closer to the water you get.
During this time of year (June/July) I'd just "get thru" Arizona as quickly as possible.

Got some roads you want to ride in Sandy Eggo County? There's some good one's here. PCH isn't one of 'em. (That's a parking lot.) Lane split if you want to. Enjoy your stay!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

That's the quickest way through. Holbrook though Heber/Overgaard, Payson and Phoenix to I-10 or I-8. It's also the hottest.

This time of year, I would stay on I-40 into California, then head south closer to the coast where the temperatures are more moderate.

Last edited by joe.1955; 06-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

I live in AZ and travel to CA frequently. This time of year, there isn't a good way. The drop down to 10 is insanely hot, and puts you through Phoenix traffic. Then 10 has pretty heavy traffic and lots of 18 wheelers all the way to LA, with conditions getting worse as you go.

Going out 40, as you get towards Kingman, it starts getting hot again, then you're going through Needles (often the hottest town in the nation) and across the Mojave, some of the hottest and ugliest travel I've ever seen. In a car it's not bad, but on a bike, bad.

If I was doing it on a bike, I'd start from Flagstaff, get up at about 4:30 and ride from dawn until Barstow, maybe about noon. Stay in until dusk, then ride on. Drop down 15 from Barstow. heavy traffic, but otherwise pretty good.

Drink lots of water , and carry lots of water. Humidity around here can get as low a 5% and is routinely around 15%. You have no idea how fast that can dry you out, and dehydration is like getting drunk, you loose judgement and good sense first. Same with heat exhaustion. If you start feeling even a little 'iffy', STOP and deal with it.

Stay on the main highways. People die out here every year following plausible 'shortcuts' on their GPS things. Side roads can start out good looking, turn into gravel, then jeep trail, then goat trail, with no good way to turn around. and many of the smaller roads do just that.

Not where you want to be with 850 lbs of touring bike on a hot day. Almost all of this is going to be out of cell phone range, or really any communication device except a pretty good ham radio. There's almost no patrol except on main highways.

Cell's good on the main highways. Plan your gas stops. THey can be few and far between, and take time to walk around, do some stretches, and drink lots of liquid.

Be aware of weather. We're getting into monsoon season here, which can mean sudden and very violent thunderstorms and microbursts. Less chance of those along 40.

Sorry if I'm sounding grim, but best be prepared. I like that run in mid-spring, or late fall, now, its just ugly.

The following 2 users liked this post by OlAndrew:
Redlegvzv (06-30-2017), soldierbot (06-28-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 05:28 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Just want to back up everyone else and say, bring/drink lots of water. And keep yourself covered. In this heat, you have a reverse windchill effect where airflow actually makes you hotter. You want to keep the wind (and sun) off your skin.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep its like riding through a blast-furnace. It's around 120* the past few days and humidity hit 1% the other day! I didn't think that was possible LOL

Old 06-28-2017, 08:15 PM
mazz
Road Master

so going thru needles Friday at 112 degrees is better than Phoenix at 105, less traffic keep moving? also if i stay north on 40 or turn south on 77 or 277 where do i worry about gas stops ? thanks for input

Old 06-29-2017, 10:12 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

There is no way to cross the desert in mid-summer without high temperatures. Anywhere you hit the Arizona/California border is going to be near sea level and hot; I-40 Needles, I-10 Quartzite/Blythe or I-8 Yuma.

If you stay on the interstate through Arizona, the speed limit is 75 mph. Going through cities like Phoenix it drops to 65 (and some places 55) and the freeways snake around instead of going straight through.

Along the interstate, fuel is not a problem any time of day (truck stops).

Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Just about anyplace within a day's ride from Phoenix will mean oppressive, dangerous heat this time of year. You pick the place - Vegas, LA, San Diego, Albuquerque, El Paso - all mean extreme heat and danger of dehydration/heat stroke. This is not the time of year to be riding the Mohave or Sonoran deserts. If you must, drink as much water as you can hold and do it often. If you feel thirsty, it's almost too late.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:43 PM
mazz
Road Master

i arrived in Kingman AZ today about 2pm ride was not bad only 100 yesterday Oklahoma and Texas was 109. leaving early Saturday to go thru Needles before its too hot . where does Desert stop after needles on my way to San Diego

Quick Reply: hello Arizona