General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch fluid reservoir lid and gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:24 AM
SOA
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch fluid reservoir lid and gasket.

I have been jynxed. My hydrulalic clutch fluid reservoir was leaking and running down the side of the master cylinder. I have read that these are known to leak. I took the cap off and it was over full and spilt brake fluid all over the master cylinder. Luckily no damage as I had a towel ready. I put it on the absolute minimum level and then playing around with the tightness of the cap. Does anyone know how tight it needs to be with a screwdriver. Anyone have any tips for this. I'm sure someone has had this issue before. Is it common for the gasket to be wet ?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

You're not supposed to tighten the screws much at all. Basically just enough to hold everything in place. Tightening too much causes the gasket to squish and deform, causing leaks.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:46 AM
SOA
Advanced

That's what I have read. I tightened them with a screwdriver basically to where they are snug by just using two fingers on the screwdriver. Took it for a ride and gasket looks dry and still enough clutch fluid to operate.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 677 Likes on 352 Posts

If you read in your service manual it states that as the clutch wears the master cylinder will become over full. It's part of the service schedule to check and remove the excess fluid. The manual will also outline the torque spec for the screws. I only use 2 fingers on the shank of the screwdriver.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:33 AM
SOA
Advanced

My service schedule just says check clutch fluid by eye glass. Which it would show full regardless. No the eye glass is about 2/3 full. Which is about minimum. Anyways do you tighten the screws until they just become tight with the screw driver? It's hard to measure 12 pounds as my torque doesn't go that low.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:48 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 734 Posts

Are you using a ft/lb or inch/lb torque wrench? You should have both if you're going to work on your bike.
Just tighten it snug, you don't want to crank on it.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:03 PM
SOA
Advanced

I believe mine is inch pound and the lowest setting is 20. With other markings underneath but they are not labeled so it would be a wild guess to get 12. I tightened it snug and backed it off a 1/4 turn. Do you have to do the same for the brake cylinder (hand and foot) remove fluid after so many miles or is that gernally with the clutch. Sorry This is my first new bike so I'm just trying to learn.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:08 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 734 Posts

Check your owner's manual for brake fluid change intervals.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:35 PM
SOA
Advanced

I know your supposed to change it after so many miles. But will the brake fluid level increase over time and get over full like the clutch reservoir does?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 677 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by SOA
I know your supposed to change it after so many miles. But will the brake fluid level increase over time and get over full like the clutch reservoir does?
No, brake fluid will go down with wear on the pads. Only the clutch will increase fluid in the reservoir.

ETA: Don't open them any more than necessary. Opening the reservoir introduces moisture into the system. Dot4 fluid absorbs moisture. Moisture lowers the boiling point of the fluid. On ABS bikes it's believed to be the root cause of ABS module failure.

Last edited by Buelligan666; 07-01-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid reservoir lid and gasket.