General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still searching for the right setting on my 944's.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:35 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Still searching for the right setting on my 944's.

I've had my Progressive 944's for a few months and still can't find the right setting. I have a 2010 Ultra set up like a street glide. I weigh about 180 lbs and ride solo 100 percent of the time so I ordered the standard springs. When I first installed them I used the sag setting as my guide. I wasn't happy with the results so I started trying different settings. I have done everything from 1/8 turns to five turns. I honestly don't think these shocks ride any better than my stock air shocks with a Burly 1 inch lowering kit. I would be curious what settings some of you are using that weigh about what I do. Thanks for your comments.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 677 Likes on 352 Posts

How many miles? Months, for some of us could be several thousand, for others barely 100. They need time to settle in. I bought mine used, but in new condition. I ran them for 5k on my Electra, and another 13k on my Road Glide. I have them mounted adjusters down (shouldn't make any difference) and set at 3 turns. I'm 220 and the ride is smooootthhh. Standard rate springs. I used a center punch and marked the adjuster and the shock body to make it easier to tell how far I have adjusted them. Monotubes up front with one clip. Rides like on rails.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:28 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I just changed it today to three turns, will try it in the morning.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:38 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,366 Likes on 2,374 Posts

I used a silver markie to mark the adjuster and the shock barrel. I have the (44 HD series and weigh near 250, I have 1 1/2 turns solo and 3 1/4 two up, I think we are pretty close to our set up. Try half turns then work down to quarter turns, you'll soon find it. I have a rubber strap wrench that makes it a bit easier.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,995 Likes on 17,501 Posts

Progressives have always been a stiff riding shock, get used to it. I've dicked with them for years on various bikes and they've all been hard riding.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:20 PM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

best choice for me was to have progressive set my sag for me while I was at Myrtle Beach...even though I did not buy from them then....they even replaced my shock bushings that they have an upgraded version of.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:22 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Run mine with Heavy springs at four turns 200lbs and wife 125lbs. Leave them at that setting solo or two up. Twisted is correct they are a stiff shock. Still much better than the
stock air shock.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I'm 225ish & ride solo 100%. When I got my 944s I could never seem to get them right, always seemed too stiff. After a lot of tweaking I discovered they weren't stiff enough.... I was riding on the bump stops a lot. Sent them off to Progressive & they changed the springs to HD (for free I might add), bingo.... now I was using all of the suspension travel. I have found many times over the years that folks' problems with shocks is having them too soft in search of a softer ride. Try setting them full stiff & working your way back from there instead of the other way around.

I've since changed to Ohlins because.... the internet says you should have ohlins They are about the same amount above 944s that 944s are above stock.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:10 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

They are only as stiff as the spring you select. And spring selection is critical. The counter intuitive solution to your problem is to get the HD spring vs the standard. At your weight, you are probably either bottoming out (rough ride) or have so much preload dialed in that it eats up the progressive aspect of the spring (rough ride).

I'm not sure what amount of travel you have, but lets say 3 inches. You should set sag to be 1 inch. That accounts for you and the bike. So get the bike off the ground and measure eye to eye. The get the bike on the ground, sit on it and get the bike off the stand, full weight of you and bike on shocks and measure eye to eye. Yes, you need help doing this. Adjust preload until it's 1/3 of unladen (total) travel. Then secure a tie wrap to the piston (anywhere but the bottom). Go riding. When you come back, is the tie wrap jammed into the bumper? Or is it riding well above the bumper?

Setting sag is just a starting point. You need to get it so that the tie wrap is just above the bumper, which means you are using almost all of the travel the shock offers without bottoming.

The key is - if you are turning more than 6 turns (an estimation) you are running too light a spring. Ideally, you would add very little preload to a progressive (type - not the name) spring so that you have the most of the softer spring rate to eat up the small bumps. I ran the standard spring on my Street Glide, albeit 444s. I wasn't thrilled with the ride. I changed up to HD springs and it's smooth as silk.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,995 Likes on 17,501 Posts

I've since changed to Ohlins because.... the internet says you should have ohlins They are about the same amount above 944s that 944s are above stock.
Think the Ohlins are in my future , as much of an improvement over what I was used with the RK's suspension I cannot find the sweet spot with the stock ones. Either sloppy soft or bone jarring.

Quick Reply: Still searching for the right setting on my 944's.