General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Cross Country on My Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts
Default Ride Cross Country on My Softail?

I have the opportunity to ride from Florida to California on my 2016 Softail Slim S.

Though not really set up for touring, I figured I would put on a sissy bar (I like the look of the bar), and get a large sissy bar bag to hold some essentials for the trip.

This would be a solo journey. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Have any of you done something like this? Thoughts? Suggestions on what you found really necessary to bring along? What did you find to be the # of mile or hours you could comfortably ride in a day?

R,
Sanjuro

Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I've never done this... But I can say I'd GO FOR IT!! In my opinion, you don't need a ride with the label of "touring" model. Just plan accordingly.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd highly recommend a windshield, the wind blast will grind you down - at least one that will keep the pressure off your chest.

Some form of music/etc. XM radio through earbuds, etc, will get you through the plains country which is incredibly boring beyond belief.

Be sure to have proper rain and cold gear, it can be really chilly in the mornings out West. You can start out at 30 degrees at 8 a.m. and be at 90 degrees by 1 p.m. You have to accommodate for the ranges in climate.

Stay hydrated. Always. Riding 10 hours a day exposed to the sun will dehydrate you very quickly and you won't even realize it because the wind keeps you cool. If you get lightheaded / dizzy / sleepy while riding, you are probably dehydrated.

Pacific Coast Highway is closed due to landslides. That's the Road you REALLY want to ride in California, but repairs are not expected to be complete until June 2018.

Have fun!

Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

The closest I've came to doing that was ride across most of Texas...550 miles in 10 hours. Outside of that, no desire. Good Luck in your ride.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Windshield, floor boards, pistol and if possible set up your luggage so you can lean back against it.

Do this trip while you're young and able enough to do it. Take plenty of pictures because this may be the last opportunity. Good luck!!

DanHappy (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,767 Likes on 776 Posts

DO IT! I've done lots of multi-thousand/multi-day/week trips aboard Reaper. The longest trip being over 6500 miles over 33 days. It's pure awesome to be out on the road like that!

Bring a few days' change of clothes (you can always do laundry on the road). Plan rest days. Quality rain and cold weather gear are essential. Cargo nets are your friend. A few essentials I bring with me: high SPF (100+) spray on sunblock, travel packs of Wet-Ones (I use these to clean my face and hands when reapplying sunscreen at gas stops, etc... they are also great for removing bugs from your headlight and riding glasses!) and Huggies wipes (don't laugh, they're a real *** saver, hehehe... ). Extra pairs of riding glasses are highly recommended, if you wear them. Cell phone and a credit card with a high limit are also highly recommended.

Make sure your bike is ready to go - ie: tire condition, oil change, etc...

As mentioned by another poster: stay hydrated, and rest when you need to.

Most of all, take your time, and enjoy the trip. You'll love it!

Cheers!

Infidel 1975 (06-21-2021)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:35 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,535 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Heritage's do it all the time. For me, a windshield, backrest and storage would be needed. Floorboards help, but if mid pegs you could switch to mini floorboards for the trip. I would add that Hwy bar pegs allow you to stretch your legs and change the pressure points on your ***. Also, unless your seat is really comfortable for 5-6 hours, I add a sheepskin and maybe even an airhawk pad. It does two things, cools the butt and removes the sharp pain going over bumps. But in the 70's I did it on an ironhead with a banana seat as I was still invincible and had a tougher ***.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:45 AM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I did about 4 K miles across the east coast on a Heritage (2 up) and it was great!
For a solo trip, I'd pack lighter than you think. I have stopped at Goodwill stores for new clothes when the daily riders got too grungy .
Yes... stay hydrated and wear long sleeves and gloves. It seems odd to cover up but the sun and wind can really put a hurt on bare arms.
AAA or a similar motor club is a good investment- just make sure they will tow a bike (some won't)
If you have time... stay off the interstate. My east coast trip was all state roads (and non- chain restaurants and hotels). It was a much more interesting experience than interstate riding.
Take time to stop for local attractions. See / experience America. Don't just ride through it.

tar_snake (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,867 Likes on 6,240 Posts

Several times. Mine were baggers, although on the early runs it was on a Shovel. If that Shovel can do it, and Peter Fonda can do it on a hardtail Pan, you can too.
X2 on the windshield.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:39 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

I see you're from Japan. Konnichiwa!

How many miles experience do you have?

My thinking - there's riding from FL to CA and there's RIDING from FL to CA.

A straight shot is not likely to be the ideal route. What is your planned route? Ever been to Yellowstone? Sturgis? Grand Canyon? Yosemite?

There are many places that could be part of the route. So if it really is a lifetime opportunity - make it a world class trip. Given that it's already x miles, may as well as 1000-1500 on top of that if you really want to do it once and do it right.

That bike is well up to the task. You'll get other great suggestions.

Quick Reply: Ride Cross Country on My Softail?