General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definition of an Indy???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:38 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts
Default Definition of an Indy???

The short time I have been on here I have read a number of threads where people felt they were dealt a bad hand by an Indy. In that regard I have tried to discern the term, at least what I have come to know them as. But first, what I believe others seem to be describing.

It has been my observation that Indy means a bike mechanic that works primarily on Harley bikes. Now how some of gotten such a bad deal from their experience is beyond me. The stories I recall, some even to the point that the Indy became threatening to a physical degree are what has me scratching my head. The folks that I have read such stories about even stated (I believe) that they researched the shop before going there. Where does the research or reviews come from I wonder???

For quite a few years I have used the same guy and we have become good friends. His knowledge of motorcycles is something that I would almost envy. I have had a couple times on different bikes where the engine was making a strange noise. Either he was able to tell just hearing it by ear or sometimes with a stethoscope.

I went through a few so called shops before I found this guy, mostly by word of mouth and I think that is what may be most important. I simply do not like or very much trust most Harley repair at dealerships. Other than this guy I know of another that is excellent I could use as a backup if something were to happen with my regular guy. Have used guy # 2 before I found out about # 1 so have my local area covered.

During my travels I have only a couple times had to use someone I did not know. All experiences were top notch. Found these people by word of mouth from riders local to the area I was in at the time and never a bad experience. If I was going to be in an area for any length of time I have even researched such shops prior to going there. I will add that the locals that I use work out of their own shops on their own property so have a vested interest in doing quality reliable work. Maybe I have just been lucky but throwing this out there in the hopes that it might help other people that have such an issue. Bets of luck!!!

Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,262 Likes on 1,536 Posts

I've always preferred Indys....and have said good things about them. Like ANY other business..say an electrician, a carpenter, an HVAC guy, a painter, a garage/mechanic for cars...you have good ones, and you have average ones, and you have bad ones.

Common sense should kick in here and have most people come to the same conclusion. People are people. Depends who works where.

I've had 2x Indys I used....not so much lately because I became good friends with some old school guys that do it all in their garage..even complete engine teardowns, front fork removals, and I learned a lot. But 1x Indy I used years ago is still around and I'd go to him if needed. The other one, an old school guy from an old local club (sort of in-law distant related)...cool shop he ran, used to hang there a lot and get parts and advice, but he got to health issues and had to close his shop last year. I miss it...and the group that hung there.

But heck, you can save a loooot of money, and get good work done from Indys. If you do your homework and find good ones.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

'Indy" = independent

An independent owner who owns one shop and works on the bikes him or herself with a few qualified mechanics. Sometimes known as 'mom and pop' shops. Sometimes the owner may not work on the bikes anymore, but at one time did, and now has all the younger guys working on the bikes for him.

As opposed to the manufacurer: HD, Kawi, Honda, Indian, etc

Or mas market shops like: Cycle works, Pep Boys, etc.

The following users liked this post:
son of the hounds (02-13-2020)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:50 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,540 Likes on 11,234 Posts

I have a good friend who owned and operated a one man auto repair shop for 45 years.
He had a sixth sense for repairs and was well respected. His business was word of mouth and he took his time. Oil smells, no waiting room, no free coffee and no courtesy shuttle.
If you were in a hurry, go somewhere else. He was trusted by his customers and he never let them down. Ethics make a good indy.
He's retired now and doing very well with his fortune.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:54 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

An Indy is somebody that has his own little shop and is in noway connected with the MOCO or a dealership. The shop that I go to has two people working there. They not only repair but they can build a bike from the ground up.Their knowledge is so extensive that they can work on the older bikes, such as Pans, Shovels, Knuckles and present day bikes. After all the years that I've had them work on my bike, when I take my bike to them, it's like having a family member do the work for me. One of them is in his 60's and the other is in his late 50's.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:44 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

An indie is like a "mom and pop restaurant". They're not a chain. They're not associated with any certain bike, even though they might work on a specific brand of bike, they don't have that name posted on the outside. And they'll work on a bike, no matter how old they are.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:50 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,959 Likes on 3,037 Posts

And "Indy" is an INDEPENDANT mechanic not officially associated to any Corporation or manufacturer. And will work on "ANYTHING" but most have a preference and being we're on a HARLEY AND A MOTORCYCLE FORUM, the term being used here is towards Harleys and motorcycles.
But I answered your question, I hope, in the first line.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:18 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
An Indy is somebody that has his own little shop and is in noway connected with the MOCO or a dealership. The shop that I go to has two people working there. They not only repair but they can build a bike from the ground up.Their knowledge is so extensive that they can work on the older bikes, such as Pans, Shovels, Knuckles and present day bikes. After all the years that I've had them work on my bike, when I take my bike to them, it's like having a family member do the work for me. One of them is in his 60's and the other is in his late 50's.
Sounds like the place I am talking about. He has built custom bikes and when opportunity presents itself he is working on his own build a Pan I believe. Only year bike I have not seen there are the 17's which is understandable.

Originally Posted by RANGER73
And "Indy" is an INDEPENDANT mechanic not officially associated to any Corporation or manufacturer. And will work on "ANYTHING" but most have a preference and being we're on a HARLEY AND A MOTORCYCLE FORUM, the term being used here is towards Harleys and motorcycles.
But I answered your question, I hope, in the first line.
My post was not so much a question as I am very familiar with the proper term, at least as far as how I as a Harley owner interpret the term. It was intended as more of a guide to hopefully help those that seem to have had troubles in the past with what they called an Indy.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:28 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Sounds like the place I am talking about. He has built custom bikes and when opportunity presents itself he is working on his own build a Pan I believe. Only year bike I have not seen there are the 17's which is understandable.

My post was not so much a question as I am very familiar with the proper term, at least as far as how I as a Harley owner interpret the term. It was intended as more of a guide to hopefully help those that seem to have had troubles in the past with what they called an Indy.
Word of mouth is huge. I found a guy who works out of the garage at his own home. Works on ALL bikes, ALL years. Prices are far less than "authorized" dealers, and he doesn't pad the hourly rates. If I was young, I'd try to apprentice for one of these guys for free or very little...just for the education, then make a fortune later on when nobody is left to do vintage. take note future bike mechanics...I think this would be a future financial windfall for you, and you can love going to work!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 06:42 AM
bmur66
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

delete

Last edited by bmur66; 10-05-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Definition of an Indy???