General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 01:19 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Judging by the Op's sign on name I'm thinking the bike is a sporty. All the above advice is spot on!

Old 07-16-2017, 01:39 PM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JackD
Judging by the Op's sign on name I'm thinking the bike is a sporty. All the above advice is spot on!
Yeah, if it's an 883 then I don't think "over-biked" is the problem. When I started even a V-Star 250 felt cumbersome. After a year on the Dyna, however, it felt like I could just pick it up and carry it away with me.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:54 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

See if Ride Like a Pro does a course near you or has instructors, also your MSF course instructors may do private classes.

Join the local HOG group or pop into your nearest dealer and ask if they know anybody.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 03:02 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,724 Likes on 1,172 Posts
Lightbulb

Years ago myself and a friend had gotten street/trail bikes. We needed to practice to get our mc endorsements. Don't think MSF was even thought of in late 60's. No one else in our family's rode either.

We had already been fussed at by a police officer twice for sneaking around the neighborhood. There was a old cemetery backing up to my friends backyard. It turned out to be a good place practicing low speed turns, backing, had an area big enough for U turns.

Some might consider this being disrespectful but we both had family buried there. We never turned into a race track by any means. after about 2 wks of some practice every day after school and no funereal services while we were there, we went for our endorsements and hit the streets.

All of our kids got some driving/ riding lessons at the ol place.
Always kind thought my Dad and Uncle were laughing at us learning.

WP

Old 07-16-2017, 03:08 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Check for any meetup.com groups in your area. Perhaps a leader in that group would be willing to do some coaching. I'd be very happy to help out a new rider myself. In the Ham Radio world (yes, I'm a General) - the old timers who are teachers are called Elmers. We need that in biking.

Also - many regions of law enforcement now have intermediate courses. They run all day and you learn a lot of the same techniques as motor-mounted. Not bad! Check with your local police or sheriff web sites. Community colleges may also have intermediate courses.

But yes - miles in the seat are what you need.

It's an adventure. It ain't a joystick on a Playstation. It's real and way funner.

Enjoy!

Old 07-16-2017, 03:37 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Does the bike fit you:

Are you comfortable sitting on it ..., can you touch the ground flat footed..., are the bars adjusted for your reach..., can you comfortably reach / use all the controls

Next

Find a vacant parking lot - use some debris to set up a makeshift course

Practice - starting / stopping / backing / braking / turning / accelerating / dodging - do this till comfortable

Then take it to a local neighborhood and tool around till comfortable

Then hit a two lane road and work on that till comfortable

Then a slab - not during rush hr

===========

It all new and scary - was for us all

It can also be tamed..., liberating..., and fun as hell

Ghost
Great advice here. Only thing I would add is after you have basic confidence, find a hill and practice starting out going up the hill from a dead stop. Then find a steeper hill and do it some more.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:43 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesy883
Hey everyone.
I am a new rider and am having confidence problems. Took a rider's course but feel private one on one instruction would definitly benefit me. I live in the South Jersey area. I tried searching online but it always leads back to basic courses. Any ideas?
The best way that I know to build up your confidence is to go out and practice the skills that you learned in class. The more you practice, the more confident you should get.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:55 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

One thing I would add - hard stops are the first thing I'd practice the heck out of. Get a quiet street or parking lot. Mark a spot, then take it up to 30 and stop. Mark distance. Then stop again until it's tight. Increase speed and iterate.

I also like to use focal points in the road to swerve as if they were obstacles. Manhole covers, etc. Practice maneuvers any time.

If you have a bunch of people like the Situation trying to take your spot in the lane, that will take time to get used to that. But good safety maneuvers and you can progress to the one finger salute.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 387 Likes on 257 Posts

The above is all great advice. I echo the fact that nothing will give you confidence more than riding time. But TAKE IT SLOW! Let it evolve. Don't push yourself beyond your abilities and comfort zone, especially at first. In time you will naturally venture out more and more. It will be gradual but that is good. Remember that this is supposed to be fun, (and it is...as long as you're comfortable).

When I started riding on roads I was in the same situation - none of my pals rode, so I started with a putt around the block, after which I felt pretty good about myself I might add. But it was probably an entire summer of just gradually pushing the boundary over time. You'll get there, but I will repeat what I said earlier because it can't be overemphasized...TAKE IT SLOW. When you feel ready you can go hang around the dealership or riding events and meet folks that you may want to ride with, but it's important that you wait until you're ready as you don't want to feel pressured to ride above your abilities and also don't want to screw up their rides, nor endanger others who you aren't very well acquainted with.

Last thought - at this point, while you're keeping your rides short, it might do you some good to spend time cleaning the bike afterwards - just enjoy the time to get acquainted with it. In no time you'll be spending less and less time cleaning and more time in the saddle.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Bluesy883
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love stories like this! Thank you!

Quick Reply: help