General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate thank-you post

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM
hitthecoast
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ultimate thank-you post

I have the bike together, with the new pulley, and took it around the neighborhood yesterday, up to the gas station and back. Everything rode solid, just taking it slow and cruising. I didn't expect to be able to do the repair all by myself, I have never done a project on a bike as big as this one! Sorry for trying to rush this project without a service manual, I was not expecting to have the whole pulley break all of the sudden. I have studied harder and learned more in the past two weeks of working on my bike than all of a school semester.

Thanks for all your help and words of encouragement, especially Ghost_13 for detailing the process and torque specs for me. Tom84FXST for finding me cheaper pulleys. Bettingpython, Labrador, TwiZted Biker, Trench and Veekness for your help and words of encouragement. Thanks to Nevada72, cbyway, Dribble, CaptainAwesome and Silveradoman2 for detailing the process steps for me.

Big thanks to Rob0225 for his strongly-worded words of encouragement -

Originally Posted by rob0225
Stop being a snowflake pu$$y and ride it or get rid of it.
I would like to thank Thingfish as well -

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Love it HTC. Hilarity ensues. Never a dull post. It's time to go get your ride on son! Fix that pig iron and get your head right...or as close as you can get. Have a good one.
J_Mosh and Mmmhoss are probably the reason I saw this project through to the end -

Originally Posted by J_MOSH
So you broke your bike. Get the hell over it and fix that thing. Quit your bitching and ride. If your ***** have shriveled up and your sorry *** is scared of the dam thing your in no position to beat your chest and make stupid alpha male cracks. What kinda woman would want anything to do with a micro ***** ***** who doesn't have enough conviction to look a little danger in the face and say fu this is my life and I'm doing it my way. To back to playing your x box were the worst that can happen is spilling your mountain dew as you throw a hissy fit cuz a ten year old kicked your *** in call of duty.
Originally Posted by Mmmhoss
It's part of riding a bike.
Ive ridden over 40 years, and every now and then, something happens that should have killed me.
The secret is :
Never stop fighting.
Ride every second you're on that bike.
Don't throw your hands up and quit.
Ride your bike till you're no longer on your bike, then as youre sliding down the asphalt; your bike sliding next to you, that's when you slide the direction you want to go.
Never stop looking the direction you want to go.
You give up, you die.
And rleeduece for reminding me that alcohol makes everything better -

Originally Posted by rleedeuce
Maintenance is all mental.
If you THINK your bike is in wonderful shape it will be.
It will never ever blow a bald tire etc.
But when you get old and begin to worry then tires explode, bearings fail and your steering jams, brake lights go out just before the semi runs into you and so on.
I suggest you have some alcohol to get your bravery back and then your motorcycle will heal itself.

Last edited by hitthecoast; 12-07-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Glad you got it back together...hope it stays thataway. ..but don' be afraid to get your hands dirty if something happens in the future! Just take the lessons learned with you in that quest! Especially regarding the FSM...I'e been wrenching about fifty years and I still follow that advice! And now you have a better idea of tools you need. So enjoy your journey. ..it for certain ain't rocket science!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Trench
Cruiser
Received 151 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice to see a young guy take the bull by the horns and get it done. Too many young guys wasted out there being hipster sensitive feminists. I think all of us just wanted you to learn and do it right...so you can enjoy the ride safely. Nothing cool about going down on a bike and totalling the bike and getting hurt. If you have the right information to follow and the right tools you can save a ton of $$ by fixing **** yourself...just make sure it's right! Be good!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Thats the way to cowboy up and handle it! Glad you got it squared away and you don't have thin skin. Ride safe!

Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,486 Likes on 5,461 Posts
Old 12-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Glad to hear the fix went well and not the other way around. Also glad that you took the ball busting in stride and didn’t flame up like a pansy boy with pissy pants.

Now....where’s the burnout video!?

Old 12-07-2017, 04:49 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Glad I could help, and glad you're back on the road.

Double check everything you did in 50-100 miles to make sure it's holding properly.

Have fun

Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,885 Likes on 6,933 Posts

Nice post.

Congrats on a job well done. Hope you get many safe, trouble free enjoyable miles ahead.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,958 Posts

OP

Part of being a Biker is helping out other Bikers..., and the would be bikers

Never hesitate to ask..., and as you learn **** - pass it on to the next

You're Welcome Sir

Ghost

Old 12-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

cool!!! Lots of stuff to learn. Lots of help here. Lots of smart ***' here!!! you will find the vast majority will be helpful! Enjoy!!! And come back.

also, I always recommend the factory service manual, a three ring binder or notebook to record your repairs, maintenance, and accessories install. and the phone app fuel buddy for your mileage. Lots to learn...lots to do...and lots of fun!!

Quick Reply: Ultimate thank-you post