General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye Bye HOG

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 AM
speedmastermotor
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I could get even 50% of my money back on my sportster I'd be done with HD.
F' HOG.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:39 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Time to form a "nomad" chapter!

this!!! when the Trenton NJ Harley dealer stopped the hog chapter they converted over to the capital city riders motorcycle club.. it wasn't long AFTER he got rid of the hog chapter that he ended up closing down anyway

Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm not a member of any groups or clubs other than ABATE. Did attend a few HOG meetings years ago, and though the members seemed friendly enough, I could tell there were cliques within the chapter. I do have friends who are members of the HOG chapter here in Daytona. I'm told the dealer recently threatened to close that chapter "with a stroke of a pen". The dealer rep is the owner's son who recently has been throwing out members who save big bucks by buying at other dealerships. I do know of other HOG chapters who seem to have a good group & get along well with their sponsoring dealer. From what I can see from the outside looking in, HOG chapters are a reflection of their sponsoring dealer. So, I don't think the OP has really lost anything of value with his HOG chapter being discontinued.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:10 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,251 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Call Jax.....Kill'em all.
Send Cowboy Rob there too.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:48 PM
kiwiharleydavidson
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I was interested in joining the HOG when I got my Blackline but the members I saw, seemed like they were in some sort of secret, 1% club. Not the friendliest bunch.

aint that the truth! same thing in nz

Old 08-12-2017, 03:34 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Join your local ABATE organization.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
That's too bad. My local chapter is the main reason I maintain my HOG membership. It's a great group of riders with a very active ride calendar. Not sure if our chapter is financially beneficial to the dealership or not but I expect it is seeing as how the chapter is so big they have to hold their meetings off site because the dealership isn't big enough (and it's a big building). We have to stage our chapter rides off site too because the dealer's parking lot isn't big enough for that many bikes. We still usually end up at the dealership and I'm sure a lot of guys buy stuff. Seems like most of them (not me) have bought multiple bikes from the dealership so I'm sure the dealer gets a lot of benefit from sponsoring the chapter.
Our local dealer is small, but supports our chapter. I have made some great friends, we are very active. I am not sure how much business they do with chapter members, or whether thats even relevant. The owner knows most members by name though, is is always very accomodating to us. We dont meet at the dealership, as its too small. We usually have about 30 members show up for meetings. Not sure how many members we actually have, but we normally get about 15 or so on any given ride we schedule

Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Spideygsm
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can understand why people would join a club. A club does more than just ride. What I don't understand is why somebody needs an owners group to schedule rides, collect your fees, and give you a funny patch for your jacket or vest to give the person the feeling they're in a club.

I woke up this morning, told my wife we're going for a ride, and an hour later we're on the road. That's about how much I do to schedule a ride. We road Salt lake to Ogden, up HW39 to HW16 in Wy, to Evanston, then 80 miles back to Salt Lake. 225 miles. No HOG group is going to go for a ride like that. Too far in too short a time. I bet we saw a total of less than two dozen riders the entire trip. I guess in reality people really don't want the wind in their hair. I saw more bikes getting trailered back from Sturgis on HWY80 than motorcycles on the road.

I scratch my head and don't get it. What's the purpose of an owners group anyways?

Last edited by Spideygsm; 08-12-2017 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jakenok (09-28-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 05:18 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Spideygsm
I can understand why people would join a club. A club does more than just ride. What I don't understand is why somebody needs an owners group to schedule rides, collect your fees, and give you a funny patch for your jacket or vest to give the person the feeling they're in a club.

I woke up this morning, told my wife we're going for a ride, and an hour later we're on the road. That's about how much I do to schedule a ride. We road Salt lake to Ogden, up HW39 to HW16 in Wy, to Evanston, then 80 miles back to Salt Lake. 225 miles. No HOG group is going to go for a ride like that. Too far in too short a time. I bet we saw a total of less than two dozen riders the entire trip. I guess in reality people really don't want the wind in their hair. I saw more bikes getting trailered back from Sturgis on HWY80 than motorcycles on the road.

I scratch my head and don't get it. What's the purpose of an owners group anyways?
It depends on the chapter, I guess. Its easier to find riding buddies, if you so desire, when you are part of a larger group.
My chapter does rides of about 200 miles round trip on our monthly runs. I know many riders who ride MAYBE one day a week, and only if its warm an sunny. And dont ride outside town lines.
Of course, I know HOG members like that too. Just as I know non members who ride everywhere.
To each their own. We dont have to understand WHY we each ride the way we do. Some enjoy the cameraderie, some prefer not to buy into it. Either way, not a single person is harmed by the others' choice.

The following users liked this post:
sunderhill (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Spideygsm
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In Utah there's Zion HD, Tipanogos HD, South Valley HD, Salt Lake HD, Park City HD (don't sell bikes), Golden Spike HD, Saddleback HD, and Vernal Sports Center that sells HD, Suzuki, KTM, etc. I've been to every dealership. Every dealership is dead and empty of people. I bet HD doesn't sell enough bikes in Utah to even put an HOG chapter together??? I bought my 2017 in April and was never told anything about HOG.

There must be enough HD dealerships selling enough bikes in other states to keep HD in business. Utah can't be doing it because the dealerships are empty and as far as I know, there aren't any HOG chapters. I've lived in Utah 11 years. I've never seen a group of HOG riders. I've seen a half dozen guys riding together or a large pack of Club riders (especially in Logan). Never HOG

Edit: I'm not bashing the dealerships. There is just not the foot traffic and buyers in the Utah dealerships like I use to see in San Diego, Temecula, and LA.

Last edited by Spideygsm; 08-12-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye HOG