Bye Bye HOG - Harley Davidson Forums

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye Bye HOG

P

Old 08-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Elite HDF Member
Default Bye Bye HOG

I rec'd the following email overnight from our local HD dealer:

"Dear HOG Members,

The Harley Owners Group was established to offer motorcycling benefits and services to Harley-Davidson enthusiasts throughout the world, and to develop a close relationship between the rider, the Dealership, and the Motor Company. We strive to offer each rider a premium experience in all that we do.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to provide a positive HOG experience at our Baton Rouge location. It is with a heavy heart that we must suspend the Baton Rouge HOG Chapter until further notice. It is my sincere hope that one day, we will be able to provide the customers at Baton Rouge Harley-Davidson with a proper HOG experience.

Sincerely,

---------------
General Manager"

I also heard from some others that the real reason the dealer has been unable to provide a "positive HOG experience" is that our chapter members don't spend enough $$$ at the dealer. And that's probably true -- lots of us do some or most of our own maintenance, buy parts/supplies on-line, shop around for the best price on a new bike (and our dealer is not known for best prices). It's interesting that the same owner has another dealership 30 miles away with a local chapter that (apparently) does spend enough (or maybe closing the Baton Rouge chapter is intended as a warning to the other chapter: spend or else!).

Personally, I won't lose any sleep over this, though I did enjoy the regular monthly meetings as an opportunity to see folks I would probably not run into otherwise. The handful of guys I enjoy riding with are still the same, all still around.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Elite HDF Member

Time to form a "nomad" chapter!
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle G. For This Useful Post:
rhino1250 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

If groups don't support their sponsors then who will.

I don't blame the local HD Dealer for cutting the cord.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Road Warrior

HOG-funny stuff....
The Following User Says Thank You to 01fxdxt For This Useful Post:
tar_snake (08-14-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 AM
Extreme HDF Member

If that's the case, you're better off. Why can't the dealership launch their own "non-HOG" org & keep the same "fun" things rolling along?

Personally, I'm only a HOG member w/new bike purchase & never attend any of the events/meetings/etc. Once the free time lapses...adios.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 AM
Elite HDF Member

Call Jax.....Kill'em all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greezey Rider For This Useful Post:
SBRob (08-12-2017), Vec (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01fxdxt View Post
HOG-funny stuff....
Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluraven View Post
If groups don't support their sponsors then who will.

I don't blame the local HD Dealer for cutting the cord.
^^^this^^^...ya' know, somebody's gotta' help pay for all those free donuts and coffee at the dealer.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPBART View Post
I rec'd the following email overnight from our local HD dealer:

"Dear HOG Members,

The Harley Owners Group was established to offer motorcycling benefits and services to Harley-Davidson enthusiasts throughout the world, and to develop a close relationship between the rider, the Dealership, and the Motor Company. We strive to offer each rider a premium experience in all that we do.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to provide a positive HOG experience at our Baton Rouge location. It is with a heavy heart that we must suspend the Baton Rouge HOG Chapter until further notice. It is my sincere hope that one day, we will be able to provide the customers at Baton Rouge Harley-Davidson with a proper HOG experience.

Sincerely,

---------------
General Manager"

I also heard from some others that the real reason the dealer has been unable to provide a "positive HOG experience" is that our chapter members don't spend enough $$$ at the dealer. And that's probably true -- lots of us do some or most of our own maintenance, buy parts/supplies on-line, shop around for the best price on a new bike (and our dealer is not known for best prices). It's interesting that the same owner has another dealership 30 miles away with a local chapter that (apparently) does spend enough (or maybe closing the Baton Rouge chapter is intended as a warning to the other chapter: spend or else!).

Personally, I won't lose any sleep over this, though I did enjoy the regular monthly meetings as an opportunity to see folks I would probably not run into otherwise. The handful of guys I enjoy riding with are still the same, all still around.
Brunos used to run a top rate operation in Slidell. I bought several bikes from them over the years. They are now an MSRP + only dealership (or were trying to be as of last year...) and are catering to folks with more money than I have...I bought my SB in Biloxi and will continue to do business there. Ron runs a small business type dealership...

Last edited by themouth!!!; 08-12-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Supporter

I think it's all my fault, I get these event notices emailed from BR Harley all the time, I go there, mouch whatever they're giving away and never buy anything, I even scoff down ya'll donuts too, sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to Schex For This Useful Post:
Vec (08-13-2017)

P