General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding grips too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
I've been told this goes against MSF training but it's an old habit from my racing days thats hard to break, but I've found I dont death grip my grips by resting a finger or 2 on each lever. It also allows you to be ready instantly for whatever problem traffic presents you with.

I cant tell you how much of an outright fight myself and my msf instructor had about this 15 years ago. Maybe they've finally seen the light and changed their opinion.
Nope they still preach against it. My son got grumped at by his instructors for it. He picked the habit up watching me. Too many years on sport bikes for me to break that habit.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,401 Likes on 2,957 Posts

As an RC, we are trained to watch hand movements while students ride. One the first range day, I do "correct" mostly dirtbike riders of "2 fingers on the levers."

On the 2nd range day, I don't mention it at all, (unless I see a safety issue with it.)

Yes, I know 2 fingers on the levers equals a shorter stop. As long as the rider has the finger strength to put the bike on it's nostrils, I'm good with it.

Some riders find it easier to modulate during inclement weather. (i.e.. reduced traction/friction.)

OP~ now back to the subject...

Do your grips vibrate a lot?

Some riders subconsciously "squeeze" the grips to quell the vibration. This causes hand fatigue and "arm pump."

Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,971 Likes on 17,494 Posts

You have the death grip going on your subconscious mind isn't comfortable with what you are doing, for whatever reason riding is stressing you and you don't realize it.

SPRINGER (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 2,481 Posts

Iso grips are prolly the most comfortable grips there are. Not familiar with apes, but when I had my NightTrain, I had the same problem with the drag bars. Installing pullback risers helped a bit, but I would get off the interstate & my hands would feel the way my leg does when I sit on the terlet too long, like if I am engrossed in a good read.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:24 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,016 Likes on 2,820 Posts

Nope, never had that problem. Sure my hands have gone numb on and off over the years but it was from riding Shovel and Panhead choppers with apes and solid handlebar mounts.

If you're holding the grips too tight you may be experiencing some doubt about being able to keep your seat when you ride. You should only have to hold the grips tight enough to keep the wind from blowing you off.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You have the death grip going on your subconscious mind isn't comfortable with what you are doing, for whatever reason riding is stressing you and you don't realize it.
Big yes !

Started riding late and my 2013 BO was my first motorcycle. Never mind the grip,,, during the first few weeks of riding, I literally lost weight,, like about 10 pounds, just from riding !

As to grips & grip, hand fatigue was a lingering issue even as I became more comfortable riding, (I've put the pounds back on and then some ). By incorporating "grip" into my mental checklist ritual, I find its no longer really an issue. As you intermittently repeat, assuming you do, scan left, right, mirrors, gauges, weave, "grip",, in an almost autonomic fashion, you solve most tension issues. When tension builds nonetheless, its time for a short break. In other words, your bladder is full.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:57 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

I also still user the "golf" grip, thumbs extended outwards like a hitchhiker parallel to the grips in the middle of the grip which puts the outer edge of my palms a a little off the edge of the grip. A good deliberate test for excessive grip is the chicken dance. You should be able to flap your elbows like a chicken and not affect the bikes steering. That includes mid turn on a high speed corner. When I was first learning to go fast I'm sure it was a weird site to see me hanging off the side of a bike flapping my elbows in a turn.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
After 50 years of two wheels and a motor I can testify that the TwiZted Biker is correct. i can feel the difference in my hands, after returning home from work, whether I've had a really good non stressful day, or a very stressful "boss on my ***" work day.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
On the 2nd range day, I don't mention it at all, (unless I see a safety issue with it.)
I commend you for being rational about it.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:38 AM
rkc2006
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode to work this morning, and I made an effort to rest my thumbs on top of the grips while cruising on the highway (about 25 miles) as some suggested. When it came time to throttle down, down shift, then brake I noticed my hands were much more at ease and did not cramp up at all.

Along with it being mental, I think this where my problem was. I was just constantly squeezing the grips to hard when I didn't have to. So I'll keep resting the thumb on top on the highway, and of course around town and in traffic I will use my whole hand around the grip in case I need to react suddenly.

TwiZted Biker, you're right in that some work days are more stressful than others, and my subconscious was probably reacting to it, and without me realizing it, was causing me to grip too tightly. Thanks for the tip.

Dickey, the ISO grips are very comfortable as you said, but I may try a smaller diameter grip. Maybe PM Renthals? Do you or anybody have any else have any experience with these grips?

I am probably making too much out of this, but it was bugging me so I threw it out here on the forum. And you all sure came through! Thanks again.

SPRINGER (08-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Holding grips too tight?