General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dis-gust-ing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:26 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dis-gust-ing

i have ridden approximately 10k miles per year for the past 11 years.
I would like to think I know a thing or two about handling a motorcycle. I ride an ultra classic.

But something happened this last trip that that really shook my confidence.
While riding hwy 101 in Oregon on a two lane with a cliff on one side and rock face on the other and nhair pin turns I got buffeted by strong gusts.
When leaning into a tight turn I would get hit by a wind which would turn me into the rock face. I would steer away from the rock face and immediately get hit on the right sending me into oncoming traffic.

In other words I wascwonbling all over the place looking like it was my first day on a bike.
Pulled over in a pull off and my nephew who was behind me on his bike came up and asked if I was okay cause I was weaving all over the place.

Has anyon ever experienced anything like this.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:44 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Not yet but anything can happen at any time. Glad you made it through that! I hope if it happens to me, I'll make it too.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Roadrage1996
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

never experienced that...hope I never do.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:06 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,420 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Yes, I have... Only thing that worked was slowing way down. This was on my RGU..

The following users liked this post:
riteway (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:44 PM
JTC3495
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got back from riding about 1,900 miles to Sturgis from Ca. The whole trip went super smooth, except for two times in the mountains through Wyoming & Colorado.
I was cruising along on a tight sweeper corner at about 50 mph, and out of no where my bike started to weave around. It was partially caused by bumps in the road, and wind blowing through.

It forced me to slow way down, and scared the crap out of me. The bike was handling perfect up until this happened, and I feel it was just a bad combo of factors.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Yes, not very often but I've been in a few areas where the wind has given me some problems. I was either leaning one way or the other or all of a sudden I would be riding along side a dirt bank and there wouldn't be any wind and I had to straighten the bike out or I was caught leaning and going a direction that I really didn't want to go in.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:03 PM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I never encountered that, but I can say your 11 years experience kept you on the road that is for sure. Glad you made it.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:03 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,358 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Mountain Pass, Valley, Pipeline Right of Way (in heavy trees), Tops of TaLLLL Bridges, and even between Buildings.
Anywhere wind can be channelled or funnelled this can happen. Really sucks and can shake you a little. As said slow if you (back off the throttle) can, no panic braking, and ride it out.
Drive and ride this 10 - 20 times a week. Not fun in storms and gusty winds. They shut it down any time the wind gust are over 45mph.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:24 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,867 Likes on 6,240 Posts

That stretch between Rapid City and Sturgis is usually pretty windy.
North of there, the big curve on 34 right before you get into Belle Fourche will make you lean it to the boards when the wind hits you.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I had this happen a couple times. The worst was in southern Alabama riding about 10 miles west to east. It was when the last El Nino we had sent strong storms through the Gulf coast. (actually the exact same day as my Dragon video in my signiture). I had already ridden about 10 hours in the rain that day. The section of the ride with the gusting cross winds, had small pine trees running next to it that looked like they were growing horizontal as they must see a lot of one directional winds.

That particular section of road at that particular time was the most nervous I have ever been on a bike. Fatigue from riding my loaded Wide Glide all day, by that time my rain gear had started to fail so that added to it. It just felt unnatural to be leaning so far to go in a straight line, then to have the wind stop for a moment and shoot over in the direction of lean. Then being hit by the next strong prolonged gust of wind.

I experienced it to a lesser degree riding out I70 in Kansas on a hot afternoon, but those winds seemed more sustained and not gusty, so I just leaned into it and kept on.

Quick Reply: Dis-gust-ing