General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley sues counterfeiters

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:41 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Harley sues counterfeiters

Did a search and couldn't find where this had been posted.

http://powersportsbusiness.com/news/...ounterfeiters/

I wish them luck getting any money out of Chinese counterfeiters.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

I think whether or not they get any money out of them is secondary to the real purpose of the lawsuit (though i'm sure they'd love to get some cash). if they don't go after them for infringing on their intellectual property, then it creates a precedent which ends up making it harder to enforce in the future.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:26 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

From the link:
"a transfer of infringing domain names"
Nice.
Unfamiliar with such an action, I found this synopsis:
http://www.thetrademarkcompany.com/l...e-infringement
I think seeking monetary compensation would, as mentioned, be less than fruitful. Eliminating/reducing cybersquatters as the main motivation for the complaint, sounds reasonable.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Screw hd. Charging 200 for sportster chin fairing. My $30 import knock off is doing just fine 3+ years later.

The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
rideflhr (08-17-2017), Whtwolf14 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
I think whether or not they get any money out of them is secondary to the real purpose of the lawsuit (though i'm sure they'd love to get some cash). if they don't go after them for infringing on their intellectual property, then it creates a precedent which ends up making it harder to enforce in the future.
I agree with skratch....the same thing happens with copyrights (such as company logo's). Apple was famous for going after not just corporations, but individuals, because they need to continually and consistently prove their efforts in protecting their copyright. Getting compensation was not the primary motive for them.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,174 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Screw hd. Charging 200 for sportster chin fairing. My $30 import knock off is doing just fine 3+ years later.
Let's say you spend a year writing a book and try to sell it. Then somebody comes along and produces copies of your book and sells them, pocketing the money with nothing at all going to you. How would you respond, especially if you depended on the book sales for your livelihood? Screw cvaria, he is a ripoff because the same book can be bought for a fraction of the price. He must be a greedy sob! He's got enough money already!

The following 5 users liked this post by Prot:
AJSHOVEL (08-17-2017), deadhawg (08-17-2017), indiandave (08-17-2017), Puttnik (08-17-2017), rauchman (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Why sue them when all they need to do is walk across the street to the next factory and serve em up a can-o-whoopass

Old 08-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Let's say you spend a year writing a book and try to sell it. Then somebody comes along and produces copies of your book and sells them, pocketing the money with nothing at all going to you. How would you respond, especially if you depended on the book sales for your livelihood? Screw cvaria, he is a ripoff because the same book can be bought for a fraction of the price. He must be a greedy sob! He's got enough money already!
That's pretty much what happened to the music business. An artist spends years writing, recording and producing an album. Then somebody buys a copy, uploads it to the internet, so anybody can download it, and the artist, who depends on his "art" for a living, gets screwed.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:02 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot

Yeah... i hear you but, i dont care. They are overcharging. Plain and simple. They overcharge for a lot of things. I dont drink the kool-aid and I'm the only business i truly care about. My retirement fund is my largest shareholder... it calls the shots.

Last edited by cvaria; 08-16-2017 at 09:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
rideflhr (08-17-2017), Whtwolf14 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Bamaglider
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Every manufacturer weather it be a car or motorcycle over charges for what they call brand name parts like Ford and Honda you go to the dealer to get parts and your gonna pay what they say unless the local auto zone can get the same part (different brand) for cheaper it's kinda how capitalism works the only difference is a lot of companies get permission to reproduce the cheaper parts in exchange they pay for that permission

The following users liked this post:
AJSHOVEL (08-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Harley sues counterfeiters