General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a V-4 Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 01:09 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
The irony is Harley learned the wrong lesson.

Yes, the V-Rod didn't sell well. But the reason it didn't sell wasn't the engine, as the engine was good. It was the rest of the bike was poorly designed.

If Harley would have put that engine in a decent bike I would have jumped on it.

EXACTLY! I love the way they run but more conventional suspension geometry in a proper frame would have been so much better.

Originally Posted by roadrash3
I wish they would, I love Harley, have always owned Harley's and commute full time with a Harley. I own two M8 motors, but just picked up the new BMW 1600B. Now debating selling one of my M8 Harley's cause I don't know if I will continue to ride it. I wish Harley had a Vrod bagger at least. The 6 cylinder motor 160HP 130TQ stock with pro shifting no clutch, stereo, adaptive headlight that points into the corners is amazing. I will always own a Harley but after this bike I am pretty sure I will have a love for the technology. Harley has slowly changed their motor, but us Harley guys are pretty die hard that anything other then a configuration of the current Harley motor would not be a Harley and would really **** off the folks, I think Harley could have multiple lines, however, they need to tighten up quality control.

If only BMW could figure out forward controls! LOL

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-14-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Trebor_HD
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a pick of a Nova Project. Was at the museum.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

I don't like to speak in absolutes but I doubt it.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 PM
deadbroke
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd buy one.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:18 PM
zodder
Road Captain
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I have a Harley only because it is a Harley. Because it looks like a Harley, sounds like a Harley and feels like a like a Harley.

There are plenty of "motorcycles" I can buy. If I wanted one of them, I would buy one.
Exactly. I've owned Shadows, V Stars and the like, but none of them excited and thrilled me half as much as my Harley.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:57 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,016 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Mattbastard: According to H-D's chief engineer in motor division it does. He made that statement and the new model release at Laidlaws HD when they did the new Softail release there last fall. I'll accept his statement over any poster.
Was he high? Seriously. DOHC versus SOHC. Buckets versus rockers. Horizontal versus vertical split crankcase. Integrated case/cylinders versus separate case/cylinder. Port injection, with twin velocity stacks versus a common throttle body with one spritzer. Porsche design assistance versus, uh, nobody. I could go on.

The only thing they have in common is 1) 60 degree V, 2) water cooling, and 3) 4 valves.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

It is a Revolution engine. Just check H-D's website.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 AM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,016 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
It is a Revolution engine. Just check H-D's website.
Dude, I know the differences. In the Street series it's called "Revolution-X", not Revolution, and HD makes it almost a state secret about the internals of the "X" engine simply due to the cost-cutting going on. Example? There's only one head part number. HD reverses it to keep the intake ports together. They run the chain drive up opposite side of each barrel to the cam gear.

The Revolution has a removable wet cast iron cylinder liner that press into the block and use O-rings, similar to the old Rolls Royce Merlin aircraft engine. The Revo-X has cast-in dry iron liners.

The water and oil pump setups are completely different.

They may have a similar name, but they are in no way similar or share parts.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:05 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

I don't understand why Harley has to stop making vtwins if they make a v4 water cooled engine?? I'd drop a few lines and make a sport bike, a light weight cruiser and touring bike all with the new v4 while keeping us old farts happy. That way I could continue to ride my couch down the street (in comfort) and the new customers could have their 200 mph rockets. I don't buy a Harley for speed (they can't compete) but they could np.

The following users liked this post:
rhino1250 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Rooster Ron
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley's are V-Twins !
If you want a V-Four Buy a Honda !
Enough said .

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (01-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Would you buy a V-4 Harley?