General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a V-4 Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,562 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
I would, I would also buy a single piston bike if they still made those
If Harley made a 500 thumper on or about a sportster sized frame and quality, I'd probably have one.
Also, if they made a V4, it had the torque I want and I could live with the sound, I'd buy it before many other brands.
While I love the Vtwin, but if performance meets my expectations and other intangibles such as decent sound, appearance, engine layout and ability to work on it are okay, I'd consider a Harley V4.
Especially in they lost a 100 pounds or so and keep the weight low on a two up touring bike.
Hell, the only good Indian in my younger days was their straight 4. If Harley made a decent straight four, I'd at least test ride it.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Lets, see .... I've owned v-twins, flat sixes, horizontal 4s, a V-4, a parallel twin, and a single jug thumper. If the bike looked and felt right, sure, I'd think about buying a Harley with something other than a v-twin.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
With the admiring and lusting comments of the bike in this thread, why would Harley want to do anything except improve the past? Nostalgia sells.
Look at a 1966 Porsche 911, same basic car sells new today.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ook-stock.html
Well, yes and no. It’s still rear-engined, but they’re almost all automatics, they’re water-cooled, and the suspensions are totally reworked. I think a modern HD is closer to a 1966 HD than a modern 911 is to a 1966 911...

Old 01-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 200 Posts

Harley's 45 degree V-twin is it's identity and as American as it gets.....but maybe there is another engine that has almost as much heritage and is even MORE American...... Motus baby small block V4. http://www.americanv4.com

What potential, why didn't HD buy Motus rather than entertaining making an offer on Ducati?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a Harley only because it is a Harley. Because it looks like a Harley, sounds like a Harley and feels like a like a Harley.

There are plenty of "motorcycles" I can buy. If I wanted one of them, I would buy one.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 PM
Amos Iron Wolf
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Are you aware of the Nova project?
It makes me wonder where HD would be now if AMF hadn't trashed the Nova and actually produced it.

For those interested. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...va-look-might/

At the heart of the project lay top-secret engines—to be developed in collaboration with Porsche—that would have knocked much of the motorcycle world on its duff, had they all been brought to production. Though technical specifics are a little sketchy even to this day, the line would have included modular liquid-cooled double overhead cam engines in 400 or 500cc increments: a 60 degree V-twin displacing 400cc or 500cc, a V-4 displacing 800cc or 1000cc and a V-6 displacing 1200cc or 1500cc.
People would probably converge on Milwaukee today if HD did, but I'd like to see what HD could do if they revived and modernized the NOVA project.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

It’s funny. I would never buy a V-4 Harley but would buy an inline 4 as long as it was longitudinal.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,806 Likes on 2,488 Posts

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
Well, yes and no. It’s still rear-engined, but they’re almost all automatics, they’re water-cooled, and the suspensions are totally reworked. I think a modern HD is closer to a 1966 HD than a modern 911 is to a 1966 911...
The 911 layout remained the same, hanging the engine out behind the rear axle line which has always been its achilles heel but technology has overcome it for the most part. Enough to keep it alive and less tail-happy. The same can be done if one wanted to run an archaic air cooled v-twin that meets emissions. They still have variable cam timing as an option, direct injection (if they aren't already DI), they could even run solenoid controlled valves, make the jugs out of ceramic even. Want more get up and go run a 7 speed with a higher numerical axle ratio.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:26 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I have a Harley only because it is a Harley. Because it looks like a Harley, sounds like a Harley and feels like a like a Harley.

There are plenty of "motorcycles" I can buy. If I wanted one of them, I would buy one.
Yep. Basically my point in posting this thread. If I really wanted smooth and powerful (although my Harley has way more power than I ever use) I would buy a Yamaha.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:16 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

A Motus V4 (style of engine) powered Sport Glide with complementing performance upgrades. Suspension, electronics, exhaust etc. And a completely stripped model with a-la-carte options available sitting right beside it. I would think those would sell well once people knew they existed. After all, the Motus engine is supposed to be a Chevy 350 engine cut in half so it would be simple enough.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a V-4 Harley?