General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Heated gear) I used to think you were a wimp...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:47 AM
ChaseTheRide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcb1
how is harleys heated gear
Got a set from a guy in our HOG group that no longer rides and only used it 1 season. So in the next few months will be let you know.

As stated expensive, but the price was right for me.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Wimp? Hardy. I wear my heated gear on 110 degree days. I crank it and suffer for about 30 minutes. Then, when I take it off, 110 feels like a cool ocean breeze. The headache usually wears off in 3 or 4 hours.

The following users liked this post:
Sling Blade 14 (11-19-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 02:25 PM
snafu
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves which I've been using close to 10 years now. One of the gloves quit working a couple of years back and I sent it in for a repair and they sent me a new pair of gloves. Can't beat a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by snafu; 09-29-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:33 PM
BuckKnuckle
Road Master
Received 1,003 Likes on 397 Posts

I've been thinking of investing in at least a heated vest/jacket liner. Heated grips and seat are
really nice, don't get me wrong, but they don't help the core very much. I can ride in the 40's with
heated grips and seat only but think I'd be pretty happy down in the 30's or even lower with a nice
warm core.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:19 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

"The trick with cold weather riding is to keep your core warm, that means a heated jacket or jacket liner."

What he said...I work outside year 'round near the Alaskan Highway and it's proven that if you can heat your core, your hands and feet will stay warmer. In the winter at work I'll wear a battery powered vest and it's an amazing effect. On the bike, in cold weather/rain, all I have is a 12V plug in vest that I crank up. Along with ice fishing gloves, grip heaters and my modular helmet I've tackled some pretty miserable weather out on tour. You're much more alert and safer in miserable weather if you're as comfortable as possible

Old 09-30-2017, 08:51 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I recall my decision to buy heated gear. I was on my way from Wisconsin to Arkansas one November a long time ago. It was an unseasonable 17 degrees out, but I figured once I get towards St Louis it would be warmer. I made it 70 miles. I pulled into a McDonald's to warm up and I could barely walk and my mind was fuzzy. I was definitely suffering from hypothermia despite having many layers on. I knew there was no way I was going to make it, so I tucked tail and rode home, cancelling the trip. The ride home was even worse. I took a long hot shower and felt cold for two days.

Soon after I bought the Gerbings liner and G3 gloves. I've never had to suffer like that again. I've been caught in some pretty cold weather (down to 14 degrees) and while being somewhat uncomfortable because of cold legs, face, and feet, I'm able to continue because my core is toasty, which circulates warm blood to the extremities. I'm a believer.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I have their battery operated vest and it works Well.I bought it on close out.$105.00
Gerbing made their gear at one time.The vest can be worn around town or doing yard work because you’re not plugged in.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:14 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,500 Likes on 2,970 Posts

I've never had any real problems keeping warm down to around 32*F except for my hands/fingers. Three years ago I bought a pair of Fly Street Ignitor battery powered gloves. Worth every cent they cost.

Other gear I have while not heated, is the Cycle Gear Freeze Out base layers. The stuff works.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I recall my decision to buy heated gear. I was on my way from Wisconsin to Arkansas one November a long time ago. It was an unseasonable 17 degrees out, but I figured once I get towards St Louis it would be warmer. I made it 70 miles. I pulled into a McDonald's to warm up and I could barely walk and my mind was fuzzy. I was definitely suffering from hypothermia despite having many layers on. I knew there was no way I was going to make it, so I tucked tail and rode home, cancelling the trip. The ride home was even worse. I took a long hot shower and felt cold for two days.

Soon after I bought the Gerbings liner and G3 gloves. I've never had to suffer like that again. I've been caught in some pretty cold weather (down to 14 degrees) and while being somewhat uncomfortable because of cold legs, face, and feet, I'm able to continue because my core is toasty, which circulates warm blood to the extremities. I'm a believer.
Brother, if you ride like I do, and after reading this post I believe you do, take a serious look at their heated outer pants. They make all the difference in the world, especially when you add the heated socks. The socks take a bit of smart light layering to keep from sweating but money well spent.

I recently took a day ride and the temps were mid 30's I believe so only took the jacket and gloves as far as heated gear. After a couple hours my boys and knees were begging for the pants which were sitting at home. Chaps are okay for so long.

And if riding in really sketchy weather, like nasty wet stuff, sure is nice to have backup gloves. T5 and G3's here.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,870 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I have the Harley dual source liner-jacket. (98330-15V/022L) They don't offer it anymore. Plugs into bike or lithium batteries. I use it for work with the batteries and it's nice on the bike.

Quick Reply: (Heated gear) I used to think you were a wimp...