General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are u checking tire pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 03:13 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by <G Man>

The larger molecule thing is BS. The difference is the presence of water vapor in air vs nitrogen.
You'll note I debunked the larger molecule sales point. Pointed out water vapor as well. As for condensation cycling you fix that with a water separator and a desiccant drying chamber on your air system.

Who leaves a bike tire on for 5 or six years? If you're doing that then it isn't the nitrogen that is a waste of money, it's the bike.
When I bough my 03 FXD last fall it still had the OEM tires on it, I know a guy with a 97 fatboy who rides so little he still has his OEM tires and refuses to change them because he has plenty of tread left.

What is the "security" that one looks for in nitrogen?
People think they don't have to check tire pressures because it's got nitrogen in it, Charles law still applies to dry gasses, 1 to 2 psi loss for every 10 degrees in temperature drop, which can be significant since very few people actually check pressures and air tires up when they are cold. A tire is not an impermeable gas barrier either you will lose pressure over time, if you have old tires odds are you have never replaced the valve stem either which can and often does become a point where pressure can be lost.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:52 PM
<G Man>
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
You'll note I debunked the larger molecule sales point. Pointed out water vapor as well. As for condensation cycling you fix that with a water separator and a desiccant drying chamber on your air system.

I saw you pointed out the 2.6% difference. I wasn't sure if you were debunking the claim as marketing hype.

I do this, but it's not fool proof. With oxygen and hydrogen in the same space, they will eventually find each other.

When I bough my 03 FXD last fall it still had the OEM tires on it, I know a guy with a 97 fatboy who rides so little he still has his OEM tires and refuses to change them because he has plenty of tread left.

I know someone with a 06 Fatboy in the same situation. I remind him every time I see him.

People think they don't have to check tire pressures because it's got nitrogen in it, Charles law still applies to dry gasses, 1 to 2 psi loss for every 10 degrees in temperature drop, which can be significant since very few people actually check pressures and air tires up when they are cold. A tire is not an impermeable gas barrier either you will lose pressure over time, if you have old tires odds are you have never replaced the valve stem either which can and often does become a point where pressure can be lost.

I check pressure occasionally and always before a long ride. I always check cold and make adjustments before leaving the garage. When I check, I almost always add air to one or both tires.

A lot of people just don't check, as expressed in this thread. I'm not sure their schedule (or lack of) would be any different because they use a different gas mixture in the tires.

I understand the pressure drop due to lowering temperatures, but I worry more about the gradual loss that occurs even when temps are pretty steady.

Out of curiosity, if you add air in the winter because the temperature dropped by 40 degrees from when you last put air in, do you let some back out when the temperature rises?

Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Out of curiosity, if you add air in the winter because the temperature dropped by 40 degrees from when you last put air in, do you let some back out when the temperature rises?
I ride almost all year round and typically adjust my tires once every 2 weeks.

As far as oxygen and hydrogen finding each other I go through tires at a pretty steady pace, and even in instances where a tire might be on for a couple of years I don't get excited about it. I've pulled tires off that I've been adjusting over a couple of years time and they've been dry as a bone. Now that I run ride-on in the wheels I couldn't tell you if I am getting any condensation or not.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,500 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Once a month minimum. When you ride regularly and fast, the last thing you want is improperly inflated tires. You only got 2 small contact patches on the ground as it is!

Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,402 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I check mine but apparently not as often as others who've posted. The shop puts nitrogen in the tires and they said not to put air in them because it effects the nitrogen in them.
Oh brother!
Get a new "shop."
Riders should do a complete tire inspection everytime they ride. Everytime.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:33 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

Never had a bike tire that lost much air in the tires. I check them about once a month or so...Normally right where they should be. But I give them a nice kick about once a week.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,834 Likes on 1,769 Posts

I have the Steelmate TPSM on all three bikes, tire pressure check anytime at a glance while riding, have to press a button for temperature though.
I don't use nitrogen in my bike tires, I actually want the pressure gain, and seldom need to add air.

Most people have no idea how much pressure they run in their tires.
Seeing tire pressures only is not the whole story, temperature and pressure tells you whats going on.

I set cold pressures at 42 rear, and 36 front, which is usually 70-80 degrees in summer mornings when outside temps average 90-100 mid day.

Tires usually run 50 rear at 115 degrees, and the front 40 at 92 degrees when up to running temps.(two up bagger)

On a NW trip this past spring, morning temps in the 40's showed tire pressures in the low 30's, 10 miles down the road and the tires reach normal running temps and pressures.

Last edited by Schex; 09-18-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:10 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Was checking every few weeks up until early this year. Missed a significant air loss on rear due to a failing valve core (solution suggested by some members of this forum). Still don't know how low it got while riding on it, but it was down to 8 (yeah, not a typo) when I finally checked it.

Now they get checked religiously before every ride, and logged, along with air temp.

I'm comfortable with 38-40 rear and 36-38 front. American Elites.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 AM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I check tire pressure once a week. Just part of riding, for me.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

I've actually checked mine once this yr. with a gauge. Otherwise I just rely on my TPS system to keep it in check

Quick Reply: Are u checking tire pressures?