General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXRG switchback textile

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts
Default FXRG switchback textile

Local dealer has all cold weather gear on sale for 20% off, I have a light coat and since im now making payments on my bike when we get clear cold weather this winter I'll be out riding. Was looking at an FXRG jacket, seems to be an incredible piece of kit, is the hype real? Should I get textile or leather? I don't really wear leather much,I like the textile jacket and it's cheaper and the whole chaps/boots/skulls/chains/fire/leather thing doesn't really appeal to me, but the leather FXRG did look great and is heavier. I like that the FXRG just has Harley Davidson on the back without some wings or a skull or any other dumb stuff like that. No offense to anyone who likes that stuff it's just not for me haha.

So I'm leaning towards the textile jacket, and getting some textile water proof over pants like the scorpion Seattle pants or something similar. Anyone have any other sugggeations? Cheaper alternatives to FXRG with similar performance? I want gear that'll keep me warmish in the low 30s and keep me dry should I get caught in a downpour. I have the cortech waterproof riding shoes already, I'll
Be adding lower fairings to my road glide soon too just FYI. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:56 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Can't tell where you live or how cold it gets there. I wear leather in the cooler months. A heated liner might be what you want? That way you could maybe keep your current jacket and just add the liner under it.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:24 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Check out Cycle Gear store....if there's one in your neighborhood. They have great cool/cold weather textile riding jackets/pants/gloves/etc. Reasonable prices also.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

I live in the PNW, north of Seattle. I want a new coat, I have a speed and strength "off the chain" jacket, it's ok, kinda cheesy. It's ready to be replaced, I'm looking for something convertible, nice quality thata gonna last for years. The FXRG has a lifetime warranty, I think I'm gonna go with the textile one.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Cold weather go leather

Old 09-20-2017, 11:39 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I have the leather FXRG switchback jacket. It's well made and incredibly versatile.

Pros:

It'll see you through all year. All layers in cold weather. The thermoreflective inner layer keeps you really warm. It's waterproof (see cons). In the summer you can zip out the thermal and waterproof layers, take the leather panels off and have a mesh jacket.

It's well made and very solidly put together

You can zip out the thermal and waterproof layers together and use them as a lightweight, warm and waterproof jacket once you are off the bike if you don't want to walk around in leather.

Cons:

All the layers can be a bit fiddly to put together.

The waterproof layer is underneath the leather and mesh layers - so if it rains a lot you will stay dry inside, but still have a wet leather jacket on the outside.

It's very expensive.

Would I buy one again? Yes, I would.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:50 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by adm
I have the leather FXRG switchback jacket. It's well made and incredibly versatile.

Pros:

It'll see you through all year. All layers in cold weather. The thermoreflective inner layer keeps you really warm. It's waterproof (see cons). In the summer you can zip out the thermal and waterproof layers, take the leather panels off and have a mesh jacket.

It's well made and very solidly put together

You can zip out the thermal and waterproof layers together and use them as a lightweight, warm and waterproof jacket once you are off the bike if you don't want to walk around in leather.

Cons:

All the layers can be a bit fiddly to put together.

The waterproof layer is underneath the leather and mesh layers - so if it rains a lot you will stay dry inside, but still have a wet leather jacket on the outside.

It's very expensive.

Would I buy one again? Yes, I would.
Should I go leather or textile? I went and tried one on and like
Both, I like the textile is a little lighter, is it as warm though? I'm pretty warm blooded.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 432 Likes on 218 Posts

I have both the fxrg leather and textile.i found them used for way less money.anyway,there are both great jackets.pick the one that's the most comfortable .

Old 09-28-2017, 12:26 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

I ended up trying on both jackets and ordering the leather one on board tracker Harley. It’s about 200 bucks cheaper than msrp on there. My dealer wouldn’t match the price and the sale ended before I could make up my mind. Oh well. Excited to get it! After looking and looking I just don’t like what’s out there much, the cafe racer style jacket seems to be the popular thing now and a decent jacket is 400-600 bucks and the Harley FXRG is at least convertible and waterproof so I can wear it all year. I got the FXRG for 640.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:10 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I think you'll be happy. I bought my leather FXRG used in eBay and consider it one of the best leathers I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: FXRG switchback textile