General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coverage under warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 AM
TroutBum
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Question Coverage under warranty question

Last week I brought my 2017 XL1200C into my dealer to replace some bits damaged when I had to fall over to avoid a van driver that decided to backup while at a stop light. Anywho, no real damage to the bike just a slight bend to the clutch lever, loosen mirror pivot, slight bend in the foot control shifter and a minor scratch to the derby cover. The bike landed on me for the most part. Everything else was spared, thank goodness. When the HD tech started the bike after the replacement work he said he heard a noise coming from the primary. The cover was pulled and everything checked out, but he said the clutch plates where way out of spec and that it would need replacing and that I would have to pay for it. The bike was purchased brand new back in June a has less then 2,500 miles. Shouldn’t this be a warranty job? The shop manager is going to call HD, but thinks it will be denied. What are your thoughts on this? Should it be covered under warranty or am I going to have to pay for the repairs?

Old 10-26-2017, 01:31 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Did the tech say that it was damage in the accident?

Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I would be surprised if the factory doesn't cover it. I've owned Harleys for 25 years. The few times I've had problems, the factory has covered them.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:35 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "clutch plates were way out of spec" my guess is they were worn to the point they needed replacement. If that is the case I could see it falling under a normal wear item like brake pads, tires etc... and not being a warranty item. I agree that 2500 miles is way to soon to see clutch plates need replacing unless something else is going on, clutch out of adjustment, riding the clutch etc....

Old 10-26-2017, 05:44 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,584 Likes on 2,516 Posts

First off glad you didn't get run over. Second if you had the dealer do your 1K service they should have checked / adjusted you clutch properly. If thats the case and they did the adjustment wrong somehow then they should be responsible. They should not be responsible for bad rider habits if thats the case. I'm sure more will chime in.

Do clutch plates make noise when going bad??

rk classic.

Last edited by RK_Classic; 10-26-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 332 Likes on 290 Posts

I'd agree with post # 5,
If 1000 service was done.

2500 and have clutch plates burned out is rare....and to me implies improper adjustment ....or the clutch fiber material was faulty and failed.

As secondary evidence, rear tire is original and still looking new?

Yes, talk with the dealer first or call the factory hotline for insights.

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:08 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

As stated if you had your 1000 miles check up it should have been checked/adjusted then.
It should not be normal wear and tear @ 2500 miles....

Unless you kept riding the bike after the fall ....?
If yes you could have damaged it by riding it, and then who knows if they will cover it.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:15 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

If you did have the dealer do the 1000 mile service, what fluid did they use in the primary / transmission?

If you do have to replace the clutch, and it isn't covered under warranty, I would suggest not replacing with the stock clutch plates. The stock clutch includes a "spring" plate, two friction plates riveted together.

That plate is known to wear the rivets and cause problems.

I would suggest the HD SE Performance clutch kit
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...nce-clutch-kit

It also has a heavier clutch spring, takes a little getting used to with the heavier pull.
It was less expensive than the stock clutch when I had mine replaced.

Barnett and Energy One also make "extra" plate clutch kits that remove the stock "spring" plate.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope they cover your clutch cost. Now, as to the incident with a van backing up ...... good lesson to be learned there. A sign of a new rider or a rider that has developed some bad habits is how close they stop behind other vehicles at traffic lights, stop signs, etc. Good rule of thumb is keep a standard vehicle length away from the one in front of you and stay to one side or the other so they can see you in their outside mirrors, preferably the side that gives you a way out if needed. Please take this the right way. May save your life someday!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Clutches are one of those “iffy” areas when it comes to warranty replacement. Like brake pads, clutches are a “wear item”, and, as such, are usually excluded from warranty coverage. Still, I think it would take an abnormal amount of abuse to wear out a clutch in 2500 miles. Then again, what do I know? I’m an old man and ride like one.

Quick Reply: Coverage under warranty question