General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Am I crazy?
HD makes the best bikes on the planet!
14.00%
Like Harley Motorcycles but the company is a money sucking parasite.
22.00%
Who cares get the bike and go on an epic adventure!
48.00%
BMW makes a damn good bike...worth every penny!
20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Harley vs BMW.... am I jumping ship?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:22 PM
recklessfxdf
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley vs BMW.... am I jumping ship?

Whats going on everyone? So I'm new on HDforums but I have been riding HD's since I was 25 (I'm 34 now). I have been cross country from NJ to Cali and back a couple of times , Canada, and all over the states. I have 60k on my 09 fat bob and 24k on my road glide. I love going on long trips 4-5 weeks, mostly stealth camping or visiting Marines who I served with. I am in a 3 piece MC and I love it but..................... wait for it.................... I think I'm ready to sell my Road Glide (I have to keep at least one HD so I can still be in my club) and get a BMW 1200 GS adventure! I have a wild hair up my *** and this summer I want to go to Alaska and the following summer go to Guatemala or further south to Panama. I know I can make this trip on a HD but I don't want to worry about low clearance or if I need to go off road or take some scenic trails I want to do so. So today I went to the BWM motorcycle dealer and I got to talk to some people and sit on a 2014 1200GS Adventure and holy ****! This bike is amazing and puts HD's to shame (unfortunately). Today I realized that HD is way over priced and they underperform. yeah yeah yeah the new bikes you are going to say are top of the line and so amazing. My major gripe is why do you have to drop several thousand on a brand new bike on aftermarket parts just to make it perform decently. I went through it with my 09 Dyna (98) ci) and my 11 Road glide (103 ci). I know that HD stands for Hundred Dollar and thats how much you spend every time you walk into the overpriced dealership. I was just blown away by there BMW 1200 GSA. Its 125 HP right out of the door, oil changes are recommended every 6k miles, electric suspension dampening, electric throttle sensors selectable by your terrain, and so much more. I am completely sold and I don't think I will miss my Road Glide and I can't wait to get rid of the RG. Has anyone felt like this about Harley when they look at another bike company? Yes the culture is something amazing, and the club comrade is what I have been searching for since I left the Marines but the world is amazing and I want to see as much of it as I can on 2 wheels.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:37 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Wait until you figure out that BMW stands for "brought my wallet." Good luck with your choices.

The following 2 users liked this post by DaddyKnuck:
mrmarklin (10-15-2017), Tony P (10-16-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:38 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 496 Likes on 260 Posts

Well, I bought my first BMW in 1994, then my second in 1998. I sold that second bike in 2004 and bought my Ultra Classic. In 2009 I bought a BMW GS and was miserably disappointed in it. Sold it in 2011 and bought my GT. Yes, I have both.

BMW's are a fine bike. My Ultra is a fine bike. Each has its specialty and they do each with perfection but one is not 'better' than the other unless you pick a feature and ignore the whole.

Now be careful on that GS...they are mesmerizing but there are a few things that annoyed me. Maybe they fixed them by 2014 since my 2005 but just be careful on making your choice. I suppose you are still keeping a Harley as well and that is good. A GS is not a good replacement for an HD Tourer but they do compliment each other very well.

Last edited by dceggert; 10-14-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:39 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Ive owned 4 BMWs. If they make one Im interested in, I would buy it. Anyone who locks themselves to one brand of bike is missing out...

The following 4 users liked this post by big papa AZ:
cvaria (10-14-2017), FLSSBart (10-17-2017), Geoff (10-16-2017), s-glide76 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Buy whatever you want. Bad form to come trolling on here though.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:17 PM
recklessfxdf
Novice

Originally Posted by Ron750
Buy whatever you want. Bad form to come trolling on here though.

You think this is trolling? I posted in a general chat area and just stated my opinion. I didn't make any accusations to stir the pot. I almost feel like you're trying to troll me, bro. Hahah

Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by recklessfxdf
You think this is trolling? I didn't make any accusations to stir the pot.
Originally Posted by recklessfxdf
This bike is amazing and puts HD's to shame (unfortunately). Today I realized that HD is way over priced and they underperform. yeah yeah yeah the new bikes you are going to say are top of the line and so amazing. My major gripe is why do you have to drop several thousand on a brand new bike on aftermarket parts just to make it perform decently.
uh huh

Old 10-14-2017, 09:44 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I think there UGLY as all get out. But it doesn't matter what I think. If you like it go for it. You can always sell it later.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 PM
jdreynss
Advanced

Wow.... that BMW is one ugly bitch.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I don't like the way BMWs look and I especially hate their high center of gravity. I cannot even flat-foot most of them.

They are ugly and utilitarian. Good engineering though. Pluses and minuses. I'll take Harleys. In fact, I did.

Quick Reply: Harley vs BMW.... am I jumping ship?