General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
41%
44.74%
52%
14.47%
72%
19.74%
89%
21.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

What % of motorcycle fatalities included a rider not wearing a helmet.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 AM
KenM
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What % of motorcycle fatalities included a rider not wearing a helmet.

ORIGINAL: CraigC

At least if cagers were required to wear helmets they couldn't be talking on their friggin' cell phones!
BINGO!!!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: What % of motorcycle fatalities included a rider not wearing a helmet.

The other part of the question should also be, how many more people are riding now.I stopped listening to statistics years ago because of weighted numbers.They are NEVER accurate,nor do they ever tell the true story.Each and every accident has its' own dynamics.Let Those Who Ride Decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:15 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: n8dc

Talked to my insurance agent last night and he told me of all the policys he has written all the accidents in the last 6 years have been Harleys! He says we ride more than the sport bikers? He also says watch as rates are gonna rise.. As far as the helmet issue. I ridden both ways and after the crash 2 weekends ago and the puncture wounds still healing on my elbow and the scrapes on the back of my helmet where i skidded down the road. Ill wear mine pool or no pool. I was close..
Dave
In 6 years only Harleys have been in accidents. They must only insure Harleys then, go get a quote on a hyabusa or v-max, ask why so much to insure if there value is less than your harley. My insurance went down over 100.00 this year, to 350.00.

As for the Helmet thing, how many States require helmets, it's not a 50/50 split of people wearing them. If 75% of people have to wear helmets, and accident % is the same for those that do and those that don't, your going to get a larger % of fatalities with those that do. There would be a larger number of people with helmets in accidents, even though the percent of accidents between helmeted and non would be the same.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: n8dc

Talked to my insurance agent last night and he told me of all the policys he has written all the accidents in the last 6 years have been Harleys! He says we ride more than the sport bikers? He also says watch as rates are gonna rise.. As far as the helmet issue. I ridden both ways and after the crash 2 weekends ago and the puncture wounds still healing on my elbow and the scrapes on the back of my helmet where i skidded down the road. Ill wear mine pool or no pool. I was close..
Dave

According to Harley Davidson when they checked
into the mileage their customers ride their HD's
every year. They ride less then 2,100 miles a year
on average. I guess that means the crotch rocket
guys don't ride at all on their motorcycles according
to your insurance guy..

Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you listen to the media, none of the riders were wearing a helmet.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

Unless this "study" was done to control variables, it is junk. Wear one, don't wear one, I don't care. Do not however, as some of my friends will do, try to convince me that the one guy that had a 100mph "get off" without a helmet and walked away unhurt is the ONE guy you want to use as your reasoning behind helmets being worthless. Helmets are not designed to save you in a 100mph crash. They may be tested to 100 mph, but unless you have your whole body in the helmet, yu are likely going to get hammered in that accident. I wear one, and I live in a non-helmet state. My choice.I am in the minority on this where I live. I've raced motocross (much lower speeds on avaerage), and I have torn up some helmets hitting the ground. A helmet may or may not save your life, but I do not buy the argument that you are as safe, or safer without one. The "poll" might as well have included anyone that eats carrots having a better chance of dying in a MC accident. Would have been just as relevant.
This wasn't a study but raw data from the NHTSA. The risk of death while riding a motorcycle is made up of many factors including the use of a helmet. The NHTSA should be looking at total motorcycle fatalities and separating them into groups to find corrolations between fatalities and the different factors or variables. They should do this to direct their motorcycle safety initiatives. The goal should be to identify variables that make the most risk of death and develop plans aimed at reducing that risk. The fact that according to the NHTSA helmeted riders made up 48% of riders in 2005 but accounted for 58% of fatalities points to a low corrolation between helmet use and fatalities.

I'm not trying to debate the effectiveness of a helmet in an accident. I am questioning the NHTSA approach to motorcycle safety. Helmet use is the easy way out.It's visible, is the responsibility of the rider, and takes away any real responsibility from the NHTSA. On the other hand, factors like other vehicles invadinga motorcycle's right of way, rider training and experience, and overall motorcycle awareness by other drivers are more complex factors that require money and in some cases the involvement of the general population. Doesn't the NHTSA care that motorcycles are involved in accidents in the first place? Where are the equally loud pushes by the NHTSA on motorcycle awareness?