General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cardboard Under Tires For Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

If it makes you feel better I’d go with a rubber mat or those floor panels designed for garage floors that interlock. Cardboard and moisture is a great recipe to get bugs.

Last edited by kngpn; 11-12-2017 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:24 PM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Every winter we get threads about not parking on concrete and what oil to use. Don't overthink it, I just park mine in the garage on a battery tender and that's it. Fires up on the first crank every spring like clockwork.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Let me be Mr Obvious here but think about it for a second, why would sitting on concrete in the winter be any different that it sitting the rest of the year on that same concrete ? What evil magic happens to change anything ?

You want something to lose sleep over I'd be worrying more the usual rodents making homes and happily getting into places on the bike leaving presents and pissing all over the place more than I would myth's about tires and what they sit on.
It's just another thing for them to obsess over. Who knows, maybe they release endorphins thinking they are actually doing something beneficial ?

The real question is; do they park their car on one large piece of cardboard or 4 small pieces of cardboard ? Never mind, I read on the internet that concrete doesn't affect car tires.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:18 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts

I suspend mine from the ceiling so the suspension isn't under load all winter

Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
It's just another thing for them to obsess over. Who knows, maybe they release endorphins thinking they are actually doing something beneficial ?

The real question is; do they park their car on one large piece of cardboard or 4 small pieces of cardboard ? Never mind, I read on the internet that concrete doesn't affect car tires.
My midwest days one fine early spring day I decided it was time to fire the shovel up, she caught the first kick and shot a mouse & nest out the rear pipe into my driveway. I'd get several calls for help every spring about rodent damage, never a tire issue.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:50 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 826 Posts

Just flip it upside down like you used to do to your bicycle when you fixed a flat tire! Problem solved!!

Old 11-12-2017, 02:53 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
I keep my Limited Ultra in the foyer of a barn. It's unheated, but out of the weather, and I can get to it easily if we have a dry day over the winter. Since the floor is concrete, I was told once to put cardboard under the tires. Been riding 13 years now, and never knew why until I recently Googled it. Something about concrete eventually cracking the tires. I never had a problem with it by being on cardboard. I'm even considering a couple little carpet pieces for this year. Is this all true? Anybody ever had damaged tires because you didn't put anything underneath them for a few months?

My garage has a cement floor. My bike has sat on the bare cement floor, every late Fall, Winter and early Spring for 12 years. It sits on that floor for around 5 months at a time, give or take a day or two. It can get down to 0 here depending on Mother Nature's sense of humor and during that time, I've never had any issues with cracking on my tires. I'm not saying that it isn't possible but I've never experienced it nor has anybody else in my area that I know of.

The following 2 users liked this post by SPRINGER:
BikerPepe` (11-14-2017), hd4evr2008 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 03:36 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
Who cares if it's needed or not? It takes nothing to get a scrap piece of carpet or cardboard, so why not? I've been using the same piece of carpet ( no HD logo) for years.
Non-HD carpet? You just voided your warranty, amigo...

Old 11-12-2017, 06:26 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I'm sure the same person who started this myth also started the "don't leave your battery on concrete" as well.

Store it on whatever you like. No harm done.
^^This^^

However, I've always heard that if you sit on cold concrete you'll get a Hemorrhoid.

Maybe that is what the guy was talking about and it just morphed over to tires.......

Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

I simply switch the air in my tires from summer air to winter air...boom no problem, you could store them on a frigging iceberg. Just don't forget to swap it back out in the spring.

Quick Reply: Cardboard Under Tires For Winter Storage