General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Trailering advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:22 AM
wendon65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Trailering advice

Happy holiday season everyone. I know I am going to receive a ton of crap for this question. I am from the east coast. With next year, I have 2 major events happening. At the end of the summer, our oldest daughter is going to be married. At the same time of year, my wife and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. I postponed a 2 weeker (anniversary trip)at the end of September for the wedding. (TMI but I am setting up my situation)
I think it’s time to make it out to Rapid City in July. It will be our first time out West. I am a military vet and want to see all of the monuments and the land.
But I want to get there quick. That means trailering and not riding. I don’t want to go broke on a trailer purchase with a wedding in October. The better the trailer, the more expensive. I hope you all know what I am getting at. How have my fellow bikers gotten out there without breaking the bank but still protecting the bike.
Thank you in advance
“Cheers”
don

Old 12-09-2017, 09:29 AM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Patience. I waited through several months of looking before the trailer I wanted at the price I wanted came along... I also had to be in the right place at the right time with cash-in-hand or I'd have missed it.

Check local bulletin boards or similar as this will likely reduce the shopping competition a bit.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:34 AM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,246 Likes on 10,250 Posts

Check out Craigslist ads.
Remember the price listed is usually a “wish” price.
There are deals to be had with proper “realistic” negotiation.
Cash talks, and silly low-ball offers just pizz folks off.

Last edited by ShovelEd; 12-09-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

Or rent trailer.... perhaps a U-Haul enclosed trailer might suit the need????

Old 12-09-2017, 10:11 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

You should be able to find a new 6'x10' or 6'x12' enclosed cargo trailer w/ramp door for $2,500.00 or less. I installed Pingel removable chocks and heavy duty D rings in the floor of my trailer, which hauls my bikes to the dealer and storage room, and gets used AS a "storage room". For long distances, a V front will improve fuel economy. If you don't want to do the work of setting up your trailer to haul bikes, a full-service trailer dealer can usually do that for you. Lately I've noticed some new trailers with light duty D rings in the floor that aren't through-bolted into a backing plate; I'd avoid those.

Last edited by RK4ME; 12-09-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,174 Likes on 6,218 Posts

It sounds like the trip will be rushed and therefore not the relaxing trip you are hoping for. I also am unsure how trailering saves time compared to riding

All of that is immaterial though.

I have a cargo craft six by thirteen enclosed trailer with a v-nose. I think the name of the trailer is Vector. Besides small tires which means the ramp is not steep, the other thing I like about it is it has two legs near the back of the trailer that fold down so that I can load the trailer without it being connected to a vehicle without the rear end tilting. It is tall enough to stand in. I paid twenty seven hundred dollars for it.

Another option is to either rent a trailer or you can rent a bike at your destination.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Buy one and sell it when you get back home

Old 12-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I'm not a big fan of open trailering but if this is the only trailer you're looking at purchasing I would purchase a simple 5X8 open trailer that generally can be had on craigslist for $500-700.

A 5X8 open trailer is easy to tow and easy to store (I store mine under my deck) and can be used for other general purposes.
One consideration with an open trailer is weather such as hail storms.

On one of our trips to the Black Hills we encountered a hail storm.
Fortunately it was only pea size, but when we got back from that trip I started looking for an enclosed trailer.

I ended up finding an "Excalibur" trailer for I think $2250 so I decided that was the way to go.
I only use it 2-3 trips a year and it's specifically a motorcycle trailer but I have used it a number of times for other things such as transporting balloons for a wedding.

I think your decision will need to come down to do you have a place to store the trailer and your budget?
If you only are going to use it for these two trips, u-haul rents a decent open trailer for motorcycles and I think it's less than $200 a week.

Here's my two trailers:

Last edited by Bluraven; 12-09-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I have an open Kendon Trailer, the benefits are simple....made for the bike, it comes with a torsion axle/wheels....very nice cushioned ride for the bike, it can stand up in my garage, small space needed....use it to get me to destination where riding the bike is boring and air conditioning in my car is desired. As far as being "open" i have it since 2005....I NEVR GOT A DING ON MY BIKE BECAUSE IT'S OPEN... does it get dusty, absolutely but a quick detour to a car wash while the bike is still on my trailer does the job. For $50 i can leave my car and trailer at a storage location while i do my long loop of visiting the USA.

Now the only issue is that I have a fat tire in the front and the channel on the trailer is too narrow......but I love my trailer.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:38 PM
wendon65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome feedback and thank you. I think the trip will be totally relaxing. I have plenty of time to get things in order. Going to head due west. 1st night in Cleveland, 2nd in Des Moines and arrive there on the 3rd day. I figure a bed and breakfast for 5 nights and then head back.
I think enclosed is the way to go from the feedback. If I could find one for 2500, I would certainly consider that. A few people suggested buy one and sell it after the trip. I’m not sure I would sell it after I pay for it.
Thank you again. I think I needed to know what others have run into.
We are all looking to save a few bucks and have good quality at the same time.
Don

Last edited by wendon65; 12-09-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Trailering advice