General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At greater risk if you have 2 bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,705 Likes on 3,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludwig von Buzzthoven
I have a ‘17 Slim, and I *just* bought an ‘18 Deluxe. They are two entirely different animals. Like another poster said above, you just have to be cognizant of what you are riding.
Entirely different? Hardly....they're both heavyweight cruisers.

If you had, say, a Slim and a ZX-14R then you'd have two entirely different animals.

OP unless you're a rank beginner I don't see any problem switching between the two bikes you mentioned. I don't find it difficult riding my Road King and Triumph Trophy (a sport touring bike).

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:58 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,562 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I don't have any issues changing bikes, but I remain aware it may have been a while since I rode it. By the time I have gotten out of the driveway and around the first corner, all the muscle memory comes back. even with my right hand shift sporty. The Bonneville had grabby brakes, so I would take extra care to brake hard and soft at first when it had been a while since I rode it. If you have grabby brakes, fix them. I think grabby brakes gets more people into trouble than handling or shifting. My friend just got a new bike, grabbed too much brake and dropped it, did it again. Now he wants to fix the brakes. It is usually an easy fix, maybe he should have done it on day one.

If you ride each enough, it will be automatic, if you do not, then you need to be careful and practice weaves, braking, etc until you are once again proficient on that motorcycle.

I think it is easier for me as my second and third bikes are different styles. While I no longer have my Bonneville, it was set up as a Thruxton. Same for my sporty, just so different. I think it would be a little harder if I still have my old road king and this one. Yet, even those seem really different. Seats, bars, tank size, windshield, throttle cables instead of fly by wire. But I do agree that two similar bikes have a better chance of catching you reacting as though you were on the other one. As for lean angle, that is why I owned the other bikes.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 12-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,619 Likes on 751 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, it is not a question of being able to ride the different bikes, the question is about getting so used to the handling of one bike, and then thinking that that handling applies to the other bike.

So, for example, the lean angle of the Triumph Bobber Black is significantly more than the Softail Slim S. So, if I got used to going through corners faster, and leaning more on the Triumph, and then tried the same with my Slim, I might be going way to fast, and end up in an accident.

Sounds like most do not feel it is much of a problem though, so no worries. And... good for me. No reason not to look at a second bike!

R,
Sanjuro

Old 12-18-2017, 04:11 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, it is not a question of being able to ride the different bikes, the question is about getting so used to the handling of one bike, and then thinking that that handling applies to the other bike.

So, for example, the lean angle of the Triumph Bobber Black is significantly more than the Softail Slim S. So, if I got used to going through corners faster, and leaning more on the Triumph, and then tried the same with my Slim, I might be going way to fast, and end up in an accident.

Sounds like most do not feel it is much of a problem though, so no worries. And... good for me. No reason not to look at a second bike!

R,
Sanjuro
Not sure if the triumph has self canceling blinkers or not... But the switch will definitely be on the left side not both, that might trip you up at first... lol

Last edited by 5150northrider; 12-18-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:19 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts
Default From a 63 year old

I say no! My bikes are about as different as you can get!

Attached Thumbnails At greater risk if you have 2 bikes?-image.jpg  

Last edited by 4 inch pistons; 12-18-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:24 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I cant tell you how many times I've gotten off my motocross bike and gotten right on the Harley and visa versa. Or gone riding with a friend on my Softail and swapped for my bagger half way through the ride.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:40 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,886 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Does this mean I'm doomed if I get a third street bike?!?
I don't care. Show me another bike raffle ticket! I want more!

Old 12-18-2017, 07:46 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Here are my 2. While I suppose anything is possible, I believe just the opposite is true. After riding my Ultra, hopping on my Softail is like getting on a mini-bike. So, if you've gained proficiency with the "heavy" Softail, I'm guessing you will find the Triumph to be almost simplistic in it's handling.
That is kind of how I feel about my bikes only compare the Road King to more like a Sportster, especially when I take the fairing off.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Not a problem, especially on a decent midwinter day I'll take the RK, the Fireblade, and the dual sport for a spin one right after the other.

Think of the bikes as mistresses-yes, they may ride differently, but the variety IS the spice of life!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:53 PM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

I would not ride any bike if the lean angles were within my ability (under normal riding conditions) to drag anything.
Dragging a peg is what got my best friend killed.
I have a Triumph T100 with the front sag adjusted higher than stock because it was set too low from the factory so the lean angle is higher now.
Stock was 35 degrees . Now it is around 38 or so.
My Harley Deuce was 33 degrees stock but the front end rides an inch higher due to four inch over tubes and a raked neck so probably 38 also.
Your best bet is to fix the lean angles in the first place.
With 38 degrees the very idea I could scrape a peg is laughable unless I was trying to outrun an angry biker club chasing me.
One night they did chase me with a gun out and I will admit I scraped a bit getting away.
True story.
I had no idea counter steering would even let me do that to a Harley in a corner at high speed.
Never want to do it again either.

Quick Reply: At greater risk if you have 2 bikes?