General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At greater risk if you have 2 bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts
Default At greater risk if you have 2 bikes?

I was considering purchasing a second motorcycle. I have a 2016 Softail Slim S, and was thinking of a lighter, more maneuverable bike, like the Triumph Bobber Black.

A thought occurred to me. I am so used to the handling of my Softail, if I switched to the Triumph, and started getting used to that, would I be more at risk of being in an accident? Thinking that I would start to try to handle the heavier Softail like the lighter Triumph, and start to misjudge corners, or braking, etc?

Thoughts?

R,
Sanjuro

Old 12-18-2017, 02:30 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,990 Posts

I doubt it. For example, I play many different guitars, and I feel it’s made me a better, more adaptable guitarist than if I played only one.

The following users liked this post:
LXT (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:36 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,331 Likes on 2,363 Posts

You have to be cognizant of which bike you are operating, as you are concerned about, you could find yourself in a dicey situation. I have jumped on my Low Rider after riding the Super Glide, the weight is close but the steering geometry is different. With those two bikes I can do low speed turns while applying front brake with no problem. If I try front brake on the Roadie at slow parking lot speeds then there could be problems. So yes be careful.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:36 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Here are my 2. While I suppose anything is possible, I believe just the opposite is true. After riding my Ultra, hopping on my Softail is like getting on a mini-bike. So, if you've gained proficiency with the "heavy" Softail, I'm guessing you will find the Triumph to be almost simplistic in it's handling.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

I would say it depends on your skill level. If you are experienced on how to enter and exit a turn, then you know how to compensate regardless of the weight. If you are not it could be a problem. Take it slow and it should not be a problem.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:43 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I have a ‘17 Slim, and I *just* bought an ‘18 Deluxe. They are two entirely different animals. Like another poster said above, you just have to be cognizant of what you are riding.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I had a great bike that was really old, bought a new bike for fast interstate riding.
End result: Old bike sat in the living room more and more because of the easy starting and low maintenance of the new.
Finally sold the old one because I didn't want it to sit and collect dust.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:13 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Look at it this way, any mishap on either bike could be blamed on the other one, owning another bike could be an alibi....Hmm..

Old 12-18-2017, 03:17 PM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
I was considering purchasing a second motorcycle. I have a 2016 Softail Slim S, and was thinking of a lighter, more maneuverable bike, like the Triumph Bobber Black.

A thought occurred to me. I am so used to the handling of my Softail, if I switched to the Triumph, and started getting used to that, would I be more at risk of being in an accident? Thinking that I would start to try to handle the heavier Softail like the lighter Triumph, and start to misjudge corners, or braking, etc?

Thoughts?
R,
Sanjuro
I’d say no. I ride a dirt bike on my property. I can put that away after playing and get on my Dyna with no problems. Muscle memory. It’s the real deal.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Shortline
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Just be aware, and practice emergency maneuvers on each regularly. I now have 3 bikes, down from four. I still find myself mistaking controls like turn signals, and horn. They're pretty much standard on the Harley's, but my Indian is laid out differently. I ride it most, so when I'm on the Harley's I sometimes have to think about what I'm doing. It's not really that big of a deal.

Quick Reply: At greater risk if you have 2 bikes?