General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever almost stopped riding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 AM
Zeke 666
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been riding since 1974 a few minor offs and minor breaks.

Then I had a very bad crash in 1992, nearly lost my left leg and loads of other bits damaged and broken, my fault, I ploughed in to the back of a stationary car.

I was on crutches for 5 months, took years for leg to get anywhere near 80%.

It was a few years for me to think about getting on a bike again, but it seemed every time I did a mate would have a bad crash, worse being a guy that lost a leg and use of 1 arm, just as he had a newborn son.......took 10 years to get a bike again, in the meantime I had borrowed mates ones for a quick blast.

I got a HD Sportster, not the bike for me, only keep it 6 months, traded for a GSX1400.
Been back in the saddle ever since,recently got an HD again after a few Sports Tourer bikes, ZSX, loving my Street Bob.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:55 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I've never considered giving up riding due to a scare and I've witnessed family and friends sliding and bouncing on the pavement. In March will be 46 years I've been riding. I've had a few years here and there where I didn't do much riding due to my health(heart attack,injuries,surgeries)or working on the road but I've always looked forward to when I could ride again.

Last edited by TroubleHead Fred; 01-02-2018 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NVERL8 (10-01-2023)
Old 01-02-2018, 08:22 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

Once. It was caused by my own inexperience and a bit of overconfidence. It nearly resulted in a head-on collision with an oncoming suv. My wife and lifelong soulmate was behind me. We both came very close to getting killed instantly...at my hands. It ended with a shocking scare but no wreck or damage. My little bit of confidence was absolutely destroyed, and it took all I had to get (both of us) back on the Limited and make it home. I recall how I felt when we arrived, pulled off our helmets and I looked into her eyes. She'd seen death flash past and I knew it. I basically went through a period of "anything but a ride" until the emotions passed and I understood what happened and why it did. I rode alone many days after that. She took her time and joined me when she was ready.

The entire experience transformed my outlook on riding. I used it to ride better and safer, as well as to develop my skills with a big touring machine. I learned to never take anything for granted when riding, and to focus on my job as close to 100% as conceivable. Now I ride with NO ego and try to avoid trouble in every possible way. There's always some risk, but I'll do what I can to avoid elevating it on my end.

The following 4 users liked this post by StoneTrekker:
Chasingdrakes (01-26-2024), DGDeuce (01-02-2018), mctraveler (01-02-2018), ShrinerJoe (01-03-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd have to join some sort of 12 step program to actually stop riding for good.
I've sold my bike(s) and said that's it before, I always fall off the wagon and buy another one.
I glad I was able to kick airplanes (just crazy expensive), I've been clean and free of Airplanes for almost 8 years.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

No, not yet but I'm sure the day will come. My wife hasn't ridden with me in several years so I've been thinking about selling the bike and putting the money towards buying an AC Cobra reproduction car that we both can enjoy.

Geoff (01-27-2024)
Old 01-02-2018, 08:34 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Yup - I just lost the passion for a few years, sold my bike and then restored a Corvette. No more Vette, sold it to buy a bike...

Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,029 Likes on 871 Posts

Been riding all my life. I've lost 11 friends on bikes, including my best friend. That said, I will never quit riding. Riding and flying are not inherently dangerous, they are however, terribly unforgiving.

StoneTrekker (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 09:00 AM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

I've never given a thought to not riding. Its in my DNA and has been as long as I can remember. I've seen folks go down and I've known of a few who have died and while yah it rattles me a bit, its an unfortunate part of what we do. I grew up doing the dirt bike thing and have done it off and on in my adult years. So going down hard and often became very routine. I've broken bones several times and would be back to riding before casts came off. Guess you could say I'm an addict, for better or worse whatever the cost I need to be in the wind.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:18 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

My mom didn't raise a quieter!!! this reminds me of the people that feel it's ok to walk up to someone on a bike and tell them I don't ride but I know someone that did and they got in a treble crash.... save it please...

Last edited by 5150northrider; 01-02-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes I have. Several years ago I lost a dear friend of mine to a motorcycle accident. They all ragged on me to join them on a new year ride. I simply couldn’t make it as I was married and had obligations. 4 of them ended up riding. Barry was the lead and got hit head on by a 6 wheel box truck that crossed the dividing line of a back road we frequented. My other buddies that were with him weren’t right for many years. They also hung it up for a while. We all agreed Barry would want us to still feel the wind in our face. We all ride mostly solo now though.

RIP Barry. We all miss you.

Quick Reply: Have you ever almost stopped riding?