General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last Post From an Old Guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by sat4314
Forgot to mention one thing. Dad never wanted a "thank you" or recognition of any kind. His greatest joy was helping others anonymously. Holding true to that and with good advice from our attorney the donation was made in " honor of someone who cares". Crying now, Gotta go...…………..
You have the rest of us crying now (again). Hope you happyJust kidding about that. You Dad is very proud of you.

The following 2 users liked this post by 5wheels:
BinIdaho (07-27-2018), sat4314 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Levy1
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ride safe Brian and thanks for keeping all of us updated God bless your family and your father.

The following 2 users liked this post by Levy1:
DanDeleted (07-12-2018), sat4314 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:28 PM
XTonerman
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't give up yet. I am riding that boat too.

The following users liked this post:
sat4314 (09-10-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 06:41 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts

Hi All,

Seems its been raining forever in Maryland, especially on the way home from work today. Grass needs cut, and numerous other 'HONEY DO'S), lol. Just wanted you to know that even though I don't post as often as my father did, I read this thread pretty much every day. After the family donation to St. Jude Hospital, I am back to my everyday watching for someone that might need some help. A few times on my off days I have made the "rounds" of the thrift stores in the area. I was fortunate to shake the hand of three different veterans. One from World War two and two others that were vets during the Korean war. This time around, after shaking their hands and thanking them for their service, I went to the manager and gave them thirty dollars each in cash and then I left the store before the vets even got to the register. I know the managers at each store and confident that they did apply the money to their purchase and any money left over would be given to each of them. Each time I got in my truck to leave I felt an overwhelming sense of emotion. To do these things anonymously is something that sends goose bumps up my back. I sensed Dad's presence each time. Hopefully one day after I get a lot more time in on the bike, I can offer advice to new riders as well. I think of all you pretty much all the time and grateful for the wonderful replies and advice. With that being said, I wish you "warm sunny days and safe rides". God bless...……..Brian

The following 9 users liked this post by sat4314:
5wheels (07-28-2018), BinIdaho (07-27-2018), BTLorys (07-30-2018), cficole (07-28-2018), graygoat (07-27-2018), Hardcase61 (07-27-2018), IdahoHacker (09-30-2018), mctraveler (07-27-2018), sailmotion (07-30-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2018, 08:45 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow.....Brian, you are walking proof of your dad and have a "heart of gold"......tears of joy right now. I haven't posted much, let the gents do most of it. How proud we all are.....strand straight, stand tall and carry on, my friend!

The following users liked this post:
sat4314 (09-10-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Levy1
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi All,

Seems its been raining forever in Maryland, especially on the way home from work today. Grass needs cut, and numerous other 'HONEY DO'S), lol. Just wanted you to know that even though I don't post as often as my father did, I read this thread pretty much every day. After the family donation to St. Jude Hospital, I am back to my everyday watching for someone that might need some help. A few times on my off days I have made the "rounds" of the thrift stores in the area. I was fortunate to shake the hand of three different veterans. One from World War two and two others that were vets during the Korean war. This time around, after shaking their hands and thanking them for their service, I went to the manager and gave them thirty dollars each in cash and then I left the store before the vets even got to the register. I know the managers at each store and confident that they did apply the money to their purchase and any money left over would be given to each of them. Each time I got in my truck to leave I felt an overwhelming sense of emotion. To do these things anonymously is something that sends goose bumps up my back. I sensed Dad's presence each time. Hopefully one day after I get a lot more time in on the bike, I can offer advice to new riders as well. I think of all you pretty much all the time and grateful for the wonderful replies and advice. With that being said, I wish you "warm sunny days and safe rides". God bless...……..Brian
Thank you Brian, you have inspired me now. I need to pay it forward and do it anonymously. Really appreciate you sharing.

Hi I

The following 2 users liked this post by Levy1:
Sarah93003 (08-27-2018), sat4314 (09-10-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 08:33 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts

Hi All,

Just needed to share my thoughts and say hello. In just a few days it will be 6 months since my dad died. It's been a long work week and I'm glad to be home and off for a few days. Sitting here listening to some Zac Brown songs, enjoying a cold beer and "Free" just played. Mom and Dad lived that song before I was born. They were as "free as they would ever be". Then I was born. Dad gave up and sacrificed so many things to raise me and give me the opportunities I had in life, College, a loving home that many people never got to experience. Words just can't describe the love that I was blessed with. Planting that thought to all of you for a reason. Not everyone has money to help others. There are so many ways to help someone. Sometimes it can be as simple as just talking and not just listening to what they say, but letting them know there are still many people who really care. My suggestion is this. Educate yourself as best you can, Google the VA hospitals, charities, shelters, etc. in your area. Put those numbers and addresses in your phone contacts. Make a phone call for them. Give them a ride if needed. It's not all about the money. It's about showing compassion and putting hope in someone's heart. Tears are flowing right now and so you know, tomorrow I am riding with friends of Dad's. Need it, and looking forward to it. And yes, I am rambling once again. Sometimes these emotional days cut deep into my soul. I ask all of you to please, please, please help someone when you have the opportunity. I will be going to bike week in Ocean City, Maryland next month with several of my fathers long time friends including those who went to Florida with us. It would be nice if I could meet some of you. Until then nothing but "warm sunny days" wished for all you. God bless and good night.

The following 10 users liked this post by sat4314:
5wheels (08-04-2018), cficole (08-05-2018), EdwardToscano (08-14-2018), graygoat (08-05-2018), Hardcase61 (08-05-2018), IdahoHacker (09-30-2018), J F GO (08-05-2018), mctraveler (08-14-2018), sailmotion (08-06-2018), Sarah93003 (08-27-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-05-2018, 05:00 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,424 Likes on 5,535 Posts

Your folks did well Brian, you are doing great.
Ride Safe, and enjoy the ride as your dad would have.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 PM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

One last thing. We all had a "1st day" on our bikes. Some of us were fortunate enough to know someone that mentored and advised us on how to ride. When a new rider posts a question, help them as best you can with good advice. Social media wasn't around back then, so help them with good advice and remember they will be out on the road with you. Yes, I did all the crazy crap in the beginning. Wanting to be cool and be noticed. Nothing wrong with that but there are a great many of you that can share your experience with a new rider. The end result being you have helped someone to come home safe every day. I will continue to read this wonderful forum and appreciate the replies, but will not post. My diagnosis is terminal. It has been a wonderful adventure for me and I wish you all nothing but the ability to enjoy life. Ride safe.........
id like to start by thanking you for your fathers service, i wish i new your father seam like a man you can really learn and pickup stuff from. I lost my father in 08 so i know the emotions and tears you feel and sorry to tell you sept 6th it will be 10 year and well it still hard to deal with at times for me, he was like your dad help a lot of folk in his time never needed or wanted a thank you if he helped you he did it wholeheartedly as you dad did

as for myself i been helping out 2 close friends who just purchased bike this year who never rode before i pushed them to take classes and trying to teach and give them what ever advice i can to help them be safe even bought a bell for one of them maybe me posting this will make your dad smile knowing someone is trying to do good for others to "COME HOME SAFE"

so wish you "sunny warm days" and miles of smiles!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Brian your fathers and your post are extremely heartfelt. It had me crying also with memory of my father! I'm deeply sorry for your lose. JC

Quick Reply: Last Post From an Old Guy