General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week end trip: 3 days and 2 nights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Week end trip: 3 days and 2 nights

Okay so you have time for a weekend trip 3 days and 2 nights - no more no less. How many miles do you travel? Do you find a destination or do you just worry about clocking the miles?

I have been toying with this for awhile and can't really decide what I want to do. It will be a solo trip, so I am not opposed to clocking mlles but I do want to see some sights.

So if a weekend is all you had for a short trip what would you do and how far would you go?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 AM
JohnC88
Tourer
Default RE: Week end trip: 3 days and 2 nights

The miles aren't important. Pick a destination or a direction that interests you and start riding.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:09 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Try to find a locale that is within 600 miles......drive there on day one. Spend day TWO enjoying the area. Day three, drive back home.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

Try to find a locale that is within 600 miles......drive there on day one. Spend day TWO enjoying the area. Day three, drive back home.
I totally concur...but I would say 300 to 600 butthen I take a lot of side trips

Old 06-18-2007, 02:35 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Yeah I have been thinking about that too. Ride about 350 - 450 miles hang out on the second day and make the run home. Only problem is that as i start looking at the map there is so much to see and I want to see it all.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 AM
straitshot151
Tourer

When i take a long weekend as you are talking about I pick a destination usually with 350 miles.That way i can get there easy in 1 day and not be tired.I use the second day sight seeing and riding.Third day i come home and am not to tired.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I am leaning that way

Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Bluerose

If your doing it soon..

You can ride to Mammoth (or even Yosemite)...Easily in one day. From whereI live it's 350 miles to Mammoth. You can take the 395 up which is very pretty and stop at places like Lone Pine/ Mt Whittney on the waybut you want to get an early start to beat the heat across the desert. (Iwent across to/from Mohaveover the weekend at about 95 degrees it was not too bad).

There is a nice walk in Mammoth to the Devil's Post Pile and Rainbow Falls...it makes a good nature walk for your day off Or you can rent Mountian Bikes and go up the gondola for a fun ride down the ski slopes. You could also ride up Tioga pass to upper Yosimite (about 40 miles I think).

Chances are you will have a hard time getting logging right near Yosemite.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

for 2 - 3 day, my trips have differed depending on the purpose
- if there is some place that i want to visit, then that is the main purpose of the trip and i plan the trip around that destination. obviously, the round trip would have to be possible in the time alloted. for a trip like this, i am more likely to take the faster route so i could spend more time at the destination
- if the purpose of the trip is the 'ride', then i will just pick a direction, and start going in that direction. change of direction could happen at any time, should i spot a road that looks interesting. in mid afternoon of the first day, i would probably take a break and check out a map to plan the stopping point for the night. midday of the 2nd day, i would check where i was to assure that i could get back in the remaining day and a half and just check what might be available should i want to do some site seeing. for this type of ride, i stay off the fast roads.
- then there is the combo where the ride is important but want to see an area also. this would not be a destination per se, like the first type of trip. depending on the location of the area will dictate some of the trip, like fast roads, returning trip etc. i like to set this kind up as a loop where i am not going over the same road again.

i also like to camp, which cuts down on the ride time because you need some additional set up and take down time. if i do camp, then i ride for about 9 hours max, usually in around 3 hours chunks - kinda works out to gas stop time.

if i don't camp, then i can ride another 2 - 3 hours if necessary - but that depends on the road and the ride and how much concentration they take.

300 miles in a day is very easy and allows a lot of scenic view stops.
400 is a nice casual day.
any thing over 500 miles get to be pushing it a bit - unless i really want to get some place

i like to ride averaging 40-50mph - if i am taking in some sights

Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions. I am still pondering but I like the possibility of heading to Yosemite. I don't mind covering ground that has been covered but I like to make a loop so I am all new stuff all the time.

Quick Reply: Week end trip: 3 days and 2 nights